25D4distributor vernier

Technical MGB discussion
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

25D4distributor vernier

Post by GeoffK »

Hi The “click “ on my distributor vernier is very in distinct. Does anyone know how many degrees of adjustment one turn of the wheel is equivalent to?
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: 25D4distributor vernier

Post by Vic Butler »

I 'm fairly certain 10 clicks = 1 degree. Count the clicks from one end to the other and centralise it first. I think there are 50 clicks equating to 5 degrees.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

I think its 11 clicks to the degree (crank)
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Thanks for your reply. The problem is that I can’t distinguish an individual click on the wheel so I can’t count how many clicks when I am turning the wheel in either direction. Need to know how many degrees or clicks equals one complete revolution of the wheel then I can work out how many revolutions or part revolution to know how many degrees . Thanks
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Geoff.

When moving the Vernier wheel you should be able to feel the clicks rather than hear them. If you are wearing work gloves, try this without them on! I can't recall hearing the clicks but always adjust by feel.

It seems to me that if you really are not getting any ratchet like setting, then there may be nothing to hold the Vernier in place, and it may well move away from any setting chosen?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Hi Ian. I have been adjusting the vernier with bare hands but not achieving any ratcheting feeling. It feels like the wheel is detached from the ratchet but there is still resistance and an occasional click. I have been offered the old distributor by the previous owner maybe I should check this out and if it’s ok transfer the internals of the one currently fitted and do a swap
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Geoff. It seems very likely that the distributor is faulty, and that it wouldn't be possible to reliably adjust the spark by using the Vernier. I'm sure it could be repaired and come back as good as new (Distributor Doctor) and that may be your best course of action.

I didn't bother too much with distributors for many years - they still work even if completely worn out! However, after getting mine rebuilt/restored it transformed the performance.

Two of the problems are;

Worn shaft/bearings causing a lot of scatter

Weak and worn out advance springs causing the mechanic to set the static advance incorrectly leading to inadequate advance at higher revs.

Ian F
MGCC member
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Hi Thanks for all your input but does anyone know the answer to my original question -How many degrees of adjustment is one full turn of the vernier ‘nut’ equivalent to?’ Or put another way how many clicks are equivalent to one full turn accepting that 10 clicks equals one degree. Thanks
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Geoff, not sure how to actually measure this? From memory I think the Vernier wheel moves a rod (connected to the diaphragm? That rod is marked with the degrees I believe. There is no base mark to measure against because the starting point for the timing depends on the rotational setting of the distributor in the block itself.

If you can see those markings - I believe each represents one degree - you should be able to determine what you require.

Does this help?

Ian F
MGCC member
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Hi Ian. Contacted Distributor Doctor and they weren’t much help -surprisingly. Will get the distributor out some time and have a play around- see what I can find with a close up inspection