Best replacement engine

Technical MGB discussion
bob.hart@talk21.com
Forename: Bob
Surname: Hart

Best replacement engine

Post by bob.hart@talk21.com »

I have a 1979 MGB roadster and am looking to replace the engine. The current engine is a gold seal replacement unit but I don't know how many miles it has covered. The oil pressure has now dropped to 25psi, it burns/leaks oil at around 0.5 litres per 500 miles. and when starting from cold there is no oil pressure showing for 5-10 seconds. There is also an intermittent rubbing noise from deep within the engine. I've been looking at various replacement engines and would like to get some recommendations. I don't race, so I'm looking for a basic engine. There are several on the market including; Ivor Searle at £1650, Oselli at £2250. Skiptune at £2575, MCCS at £1950 and MGOC at £2280. So there's almost £900 difference from cheapest to most expensive - Any recommendations?
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Best replacement engine

Post by Ian F »

I think the answer would depend on what you want to spend and how much you want to do yourself.

The B series engine does respond well to some mild tuning, so I would advise getting something which is a bit more than standard - the reward would be a much more enjoyable drive.

If you wish to be economical with your cash, find a local engine builder and get them to do the machining, then build it up yourself.

Peter Burgess in Alfreton is widely recognised as a B series authority and would do you a cylinder head to whatever spec you wanted, and give good, honest advice. He may also do a complete engine for you, worth having a word with him and getting advice.

Hope that helps?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

I had Peter give my cylinder head the Econotune treatment and I have a standard 252 deg period Indian made camshaft. I'm very pleased with how the car goes. I have fairly recently in mileage terms had my engine re-bored from standard to +0.040" so 1845 cc (I think, I cant be bothered to work it out again). It just happened that a friend of mine was having an Ivor Searle recon engine bored out to +0.060" (also by MJA) so the genuine AE pistons were going begging. We fitted a set of new Goetze (Federal Mogul) rings. My engine rebuild was done by MJA in Bromsgrove. Seems good so far.
I was told that a while ago that the MGOC recon engines were done by Ivor Searle. I don't know whether this is true or is still the case and if the same quality standards were applied.
MechSpec in Doncaster do exchange recon engines with Burgess heads. Standard is £1595, fast road £2195. I've no personal experience of them save buying the odd spares. The specification of the engines looks good though. Check out their website.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Statler
Forename: Stephen
Surname: McClune

Post by Statler »

I ended up re-using my own engine as it was numbers matching.
I took it to a local engine builder here in NI who was recommended. He did the delicate stuff and I did all the legwork.

The bores were original size but had definite lipping. No.2 cylinder rings were shot, as confirmed by the cylinder not holding liquid for more than 10 secs!
I couldn't get +0.020" pistons so bought +0.040" pistons and rings, the bearings just need replaced with stock sizes and he built the bottom end for me. He also skimmed and converted the head to unleaded for me. It wasn't cracked thankfully.
I left the standard camshaft in place as he said it looked really good. New followers and pushrods and a bucket of new fasteners.

I bought all the parts from MGB Hive where possible as I find their deliveries to Northern Ireland the quickest and most reliable, although I do get parts from Moss, Sussex Classic MG etc.

It's not been the cheapest route. I daresay buying a complete reconditioned engine would have been more cost effective in the long run, but the originality of the car has been preserved. That matters to me on this particular car.
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

What engine did you go for Bob ?

Give me a shout if you are still looking as I could be persuaded to part with mine if I do decide to go for a V8 conversion. Its not covered many miles since the full rebuild the previous owner had done.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF