Today in the garage

General MGB discussion
DickBrowne
Forename: Richard
Surname: Browne

Today in the garage

Post by DickBrowne »

Sooo many small jobs to resolve. Today, I have mostly been adjusting the choke, so the car will start more easily in the morning, checked the gearbox oil (note to self - it doesn’t matter how many times I turn the dipstick, it ain’t going to help when the dipstick just pulls out!), I replaced some of the dashboard bulbs, scraped a small rust blister in the door * back to shiny metal and primed and painted it, removed the webasto visor, siliconed and adjusted it so it now flips up and stays where it’s put.

Then the big one. Removed the centre console, and the radio from the middle of the dash, and began the prep to install the radio into the console.

This may not be to everybody’s taste, but the speaker has already gone and the space where the speaker grille used to live is taken up with a slightly sad looking copy of the MG cover which normally lives in the middle of the dash, an ammeter, a clock, a map light and a windscreen washer switch.

My plan is the remove the radio and install it into the console, keep the washer switch and light but lose the ammeter and clock. I have a blanking plate for the dash already.

The current console front plate is made from roughly painted wood and just looks a right mess. I’m going to cover the wood in padded vinyl and hopefully fashion a speaker grille of sorts to make the whole thing look more presentable.

Still, best laid plans and all that - Browne Jr called when things were at their messiest and most deconstructed asking for help as she had managed to rip the sidewall out of one of her tyres on the evening before her first shift as a trainee paramedic, so I was despatched with tools, jack and spare wheel to save the day.

I’m left with a GT in bits and a wheel needing a new tyre. That sounds like tomorrow is sorted ;)
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Today in the garage

Post by Ian F »

Better than sitting in a chair watching daytime television😝😝!!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

When I bought my 71 B it was fitted with an aftermarket centre console but with nothing in it except three dials - Voltmeter & Clock which are handy and an ammeter which had been connected with cooker cable from the starter motor (I've taken that wiring out). Suggestions of what to put in its place gratefully received. I've thought about a vacuum meter but I'd probably end up watching it all the while. I've since moved the radio/cassette from the dash to the console too. Its a crappy old thing but sort of period I suppose. I never listen to it when the engines running. I've fitted the interior light, ashtray and armrest too so it pretty much replicates what's fitted to the later cars.
I've got a slight oil leak and I'm not sure if its coming from the engine or the gearbox/overdrive so I check the gearbox oil every year. I've not noticed it going down.
P4230066.JPG
dials obscured by hats in this piccie
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

The voltmeter will be much more useful than an ammeter. Ive never quite seen the sense of the latter really.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

On cars with a dynamo rather than an alternator the ammeter had a use. With the headlights and wipers on, the charging system had a struggle to keep up with demand. The ammeter going into the minus side showed that you were draining the battery, which could happen even with the engine running. I would increase the idling speed with the throttle pedal if sitting at the lights, or in a queue, to try and keep it in the plus side. I can't see much use for it when you have an alternator.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

To fit an ammeter to an alternator equipped car will need one specially designed for alternators and will need to read at least + and - 50, more if an uprated alternator is fitted. Heavy wiring will be needed with the increasing risk of fire
A voltmeter draws very little current and should be wired in as close to the ignition switch as possible using an ignition controlled circuit using much thinner wire.
I had a 1955 Series 2 Morris Oxford which had 2 matching dials in the centre of the Mini like dashboard. Nearest the driver was the speedometer and clock and the other dial contained an ammeter, oil pressure gauge, fuel and temperature gauges. Well equipped for a family car as the equivalent Austin Cambridge only had a fuel and temperature gauge. Morris went the same way as Austin when the Farina bodied cars were introduced.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

A voltmeter is very useful. I can see for instance when my revotech electric fan kicks in. You cant always hear it when you are motoring along. It doesn't come on if you can maintain in excess of 40 mph. I've been worrying, probably unnecessarily, about the output of my alternator. The gauge shows about 14.5 V with nothing turned on, but if I have head lights, wipers and heater fan on it drops to just shy of 13 V. All in the green band on the gauge. Ignition light never comes on whilst engine is running. Its been the same for 20 years now.
Voltmeters have a very high impedance (its not a pure resistance because there coils in there so some inductance) so pass virtually no current hence the size of the conductor you use has no impact. Its more important to have good insulation to ensure there's no shorting to earth. I didn't install mine so assume that its wired correctly. It doesn't read when the ignition is turned off.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF