So what did I actually buy ?

General MGB discussion
iab72bgt
Forename: ian
Surname: mackinnon

So what did I actually buy ?

Post by iab72bgt »

I am on the search to understand the configuration of my 'bgt. I know it has been 50 years but the brake issue .. and how far out of context it is means there is more of a story here. The car is in storage now waiting to go on a rotisserie in the spring ...

I have asked this question else ware and have had various folks tell me:
. that the original owner swapped all the original parts out and replaced with earlier parts;
. the car was in a bad accident and rebuilt (no sign of damage)... but if it was, would older parts be used.. especially brake circuit ?;
. it was build that way. Except, in 1968 the brake hydraulic system was upgraded to dual circuit.

History

The second owner bought it in 1978 (in Canada) from a military person who imported it from Antigua. The front seats were sun rotted (so were the rear that I have) and there was money in the dash and console from that country. The second owners replaced the front seats (not sure from what year) and carbs ('71) and the trans was swapped out for an o/d ('71) plus a respray to a colour they liked. The dome light and one gauge were also replaced. Other than that, it is original.

The car is registered as a '71 but they thought (and were told by others) that it was a '69 or earlier. I have a clutch and pressure plate that the PO had bought as a spare.. for '69 and earlier. The serial numbers (body and engine) numbers seemed to indicate a '72 by Clausager and confirmed to be built in Jan '72 by the British Heritage Trust. Unfortunately, the destination dealer is unknown. Are there any other ways to find out where the car was initially sold ?

At first glance, these are the visual differences:

. Blinkers and rear lights
. dash/ gauges and console
. no wheel key lock
. the alternator
. brake master cylinder - single circuit which is pre '68.

What has been mentioned. For a NA spec car, it has :
. Single brake circuit system, 62-67
. Dash is pre-68 with a 72-74 console grafted on.
. Steering wheel is 72-73?
. It is a wide-tunnel car, I think that would make the body a 68 or later?

How did this get off the assembly line ?

Thanx
Attachments
3.jpg
2a.jpg
lights.jpg
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: So what did I actually buy ?

Post by Paul Scott »

Hi Ian,
Have you added the car to the MGB Register?

Depending on if it is already on the Register we may have some info.

Have you contacted the NAMGBR?
They might have infonon the car also.

We can only share information, if the previous owner has shared with us I'm afraid. The Heritage certificate would have the most info on how the car left the factory.

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Ian, not sure I understand all of your information, but one thing stands out: my 72 BGT has a single circuit brake system, correct, as it left Abingdon. Does that help?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

P.S. that dash looks remarkably similar to my 72 UK spec RHD car (apart from being LHD of course).

Ian F
MGCC member
iab72bgt

Post by iab72bgt »

Paul,

Not yet.. I bought the car in boxes so to speak so not real pictures.

I will .

Thanks
Ian.

Paul Scott wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:41 pm Hi Ian,
Have you added the car to the MGB Register?
iab72bgt

Post by iab72bgt »

Ian,

You are a lifesaver. So we have identical cars .. just with the steering wheels on the other side :)

I was just talking to someone who's car was built about 4 or 5 months after mine (uk spec) and he had a dual circuit.

Are the plastic (blinkers) the same as well ?

I should mention, compared with NA spec cars, my car is indeed odd.

Thanks
Ian.
Ian Fozzard wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:41 pm Ian, not sure I understand all of your information, but one thing stands out: my 72 BGT has a single circuit brake system, correct, as it left Abingdon. Does that help?

Ian F
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

I have a 1971 B roadster chassis no. GHN5 253272. It is, and always has been a UK home market car. It has single circuit brakes, the later more angular rear light lenses, the same steering wheel as in your photo, and the same dashboard but with toggle switches rather than the rocker switches you have. Mine also has the same ignition switch position as yours, but it has no fresh air vents on the dash. The radio lives there on my car. Here's a photo taken more than 25 years ago. The child in the car is now 39 years old!
1994 3 small.jpg
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Hi Ian.

Your dashboard, switches, steering wheel, ignition switch position etc. all look exactly the same as my 72 BGT. The sidelights/indicators are also identical.
Like Mike's car (previous post) the rear light clusters on my BGT have more angular rear light lenses. Yours look to be the earlier rounded design, but they are fully interchangeable. Yours might be original or could have been all that was available when the PO replaced them.
If the car was originally imported into Antigua, it may have been essentially a UK spec. but with LHD.

Ian F
MGCC member
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Ian
With British Leyland firmly in charge at the time , the 1972 model MGB (production would have started in Sept 71) saw the introduction a number of changes.
Introduction of rocker switches instead of toggle switches, fresh air vents where the radio used to fit and a new central console to house the Radio, interior light and cigarette lighter. You should have a second part to the console that continues down the transmission tunnel with a gaiter around the gear lever, ashtray and lift up armrest.
The lights and steering wheel in your picture are correct for a 72 car. The Single line braking circuit was retained until late 1975, even some early rubber bumper cars have this.
So in conclusion I think this all points to supporting the BMH build date of Jan 72.
Best regards
Mike Barclay
iab72bgt

Post by iab72bgt »

The surprise to most of us that live on the other side of the pond is how DIFFERENT the car is compared to what we have.

I had a '71 'bgt (NA spec) for 29 years and I count at least 8 or 10 major differences.. starting with the carbs, alternator, plastic, window tinting, dash, gauges, console, brake system.. ..... but I feel comfortable with the car now... and yes, it has a console.. It goes on a rotisserie this spring.

The only thing I would to know is where did it's journey start from after the factory ? As I mentioned, the car was imported into Canada from Antigua. In Antigua, cars are RHD. So, the car was converted when it came into Canada (no) or was brought to Antigua. But where was it sold from ?

Unfortunately, the Heritage Cert is of no use. I have registered the car but I think that may be a mystery unsolved..

In real terms, it is a bugger buying parts due to the difference in our respective assembly lines.. but then, that was BLC..

Thanks
Ian.