Door weather strip

Technical MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Door weather strip

Post by Not_Anumber »

One of my weather strips, that provides the seal on the outside against the base of the door glass, was in a bad way. A replacement has arrived but Im scratching my head as to how to fit it. Does the door glass need to come out to change or can it be done without ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Door weather strip

Post by Paul Scott »

Is it the outer seal on the drop glass that is riveted to the door?

If it is unless you can get the glass to drop low enough so you cannot touch the glass when removing the rivets and refitting them then I would probably say yes.

I don't think you can remove the bottom glass stop inside the door which could allow you to get the glass to go down far enough.

If you have to remove the quaterlight to remove the drop down glass, be prepared for the studs that hold it down to snap off.
24 + 25 and the nuts..

Hope it helps

Paul
Attachments
GT quaterlight.png
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks for the guidance. Is it essential to remove the quarterlight to extract the drop down glass ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott

Post by Paul Scott »

I believe so I don't think you can get it out of runners.

I did my quaterlight seals on my roadster, I ordered the studs & nuts before I started. Just in case they broke. Which they did.

I also took the door glass out, can't remember why but I did.

If the lower stop in the bottom of the door bends downwards you might get the glass low enough.

Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks. Il give it a try
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

I see you have a GT not a roadster. The GT is different. The weather strip you refer to (the drop glass seal, that presses on the outside of the glass) is held by clips, part number GHF 1560 to the chrome embellisher strip. Then the chrome embellisher with the seal attached is pop rivetted on the door. Looking at my car it's hard to see how you could remove the weather strip with the quarterlight in place, and if you remove the quarterlight assembly, you also have to remove the drop glass. Note that the strips are handed for the left side (AHH 6349) and right side (AHH 6348).
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.