Squeaking wheel

Technical MGB discussion
Mrbenn
Forename: Ben
Surname: Norley
MGOC Member: Yes

Squeaking wheel

Post by Mrbenn »

I have a squeak coming from my front wheels. At first I thought it might be a wheel bearing so I took the hubs off on both sides and they're fine. They look like they're in good condition. If they were on my bicycle where the tolerances are probably a lot finer I'd be happy with them. I did have to add one washer on the passenger side to remove a little excess play. After driving round for a couple of hours (100 milesish) the squeak is back. Its making me wonder if I could have a sticky brake piston. When I got the car the front offside brake was binding slightly and got very hot (smoking - but it was a cold wet winter day so might have been steam). I replaced the pads and cleaned the dust from round the pistons and nothing since. If I had a sticky piston on my bicycle disc brake I'd clean it with some degreaser and lubricate the piston with a little of the mineral oil fluid the brakes use. Would this process work on the B (but using the dot fluid). I don't fancy rebuilding the caliper as I don't really have the tools for that.
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Re: Squeaking wheel

Post by Not_Anumber »

Have you tried putting a small amount of copper grease/ anti slip compound on the back of the brake pads ? That usually fixes the front brake squeals for me
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Mrbenn

Post by Mrbenn »

It has some on. But the squeak isn't when braking. The brakes make no noise at all when in use.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

I would probably just replace the calipers, it sounds to me as if it could be a sticking piston not retracting. This causes the pad to rest lightly on the disc.
You could:

# check the disc run-out with a dial gauge
# work the pistons in and out after examining them for corrosion and scoring. Add some red brake grease all round the piston under the dust cover.to ease the retraction.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Bumpa »

I agree with Ian, my opinion also is that you have a sticking piston. Rather than just go for a replacement, I would remove the pads and then with a suitable G-clamp press the pistons right back into the caliper, taking care that the master cylinder reservoir doesn't overflow. Then replace the pads and pump the pedal to get the pistons back to where they were. That might be all you need to do in the first instance. If that doesn't help, then rebuilt calipers might be necessary.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Another trick with the piston is to carefully rotate it a quarter of a turn whilst you are checking it/ pressing it back in. Ive resurrected 3 sticky calipers over the years just by doing this
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Mrbenn

Post by Mrbenn »

Found the cause of the squeak. It was a pair of knackered steering gaiters. So they have been replaced. What is odd with this car is the big ticket items have been done but there's lots of little cheap but fiddly ones (Overdrive switch, tired old dizzy, steering gaiters) that haven't been done or have been half donkey'd. :evil: