Respray costs

General MGB discussion
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Respray costs

Post by GeoffK »

Hi. Has anyone got any recent prices for a respray on a GT, preferably for a built up car not a bare shell. Cheers Geoff
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Respray costs

Post by Ian F »

Hi Geoff,
a very difficult question!
# the spraying is only one part of the cost of course.
# the stripdown of the body - are you going to remove everything and do a thorough job? Alternative is to just do a lot of masking and just do the external panels.
#changing the colour? If so then you really need to do a complete stripdown and respray it all.
# previous repairs, rust, panel gaps and surface imperfections will need to be addressed and will be a big part of the overall cost.
# if using modern 2 pack paint for durability then this requires quite a bit of extra kit and a proper spray booth - suggests you would need a professional outfit and not cheap.

As with most things, you only get what you pay for. You will find big differences in quotes, and I would be wary of the cheap ones.

Probably not very helpful, but a few things to think about.

I do my own spraying with cellulose, which is fine if you are careful and sensible about where the solvents are going as you spray.
5 litres would do it I think, perhaps £2-£3 hundred. You need a good compressor and the spraying equipment which are not inexpensive. You also need good neighbours, or no neighbours!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

I rebuilt a roadster about 18 months ago. By the time I had finished with welding the new panels, there was a lot of prep work needed to get it ready for painting. As I have no skills in prep or painting I entrusted it to a local bodyshop. They must have spent many hours on it and when I collected it the finish was stunning. The cost was £5,800. That may seem a lot but the amount of work was large and I was happy to pay it.
Car&Classic Beauty Pic small.jpg
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Hi Ian , Bumpa
Basically I am having to sell my 73 Harvest Gold GT due to my increasing physical disabilities. It will never be a pristine example due to excessive use of underseal by one of the 12 previous owners! There are half a dozen areas that if they were repaired and resprayed would make the car look really good and more saleable. I have just taken the car to a body repair shop and he has quoted £1200 for a full respray addressing the half a dozen areas. I was surprised how cheap. I have used the guy for repairs to my main car and he does a good job. The guy said that the car would look as if it had just come out of a showroom. Maybe this is what I need to do to help sell the car as the respray will make the car look cosmetically good and someone else can do whatever they want at a later time. Also I should be able to get a fair proportion of the £1200 back by increasing the selling price. Cheers Geoff
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

How much were you then expecting to put her up for sale for Geoff with the new paint ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Well that’s a good question! I ain’t got a clue!My car is on Autotrader at the moment and out of 70 cars for sale mine is the cheapest but one at £4950. What is a respray worth to a potential buyer? Who knows? Glass’s and Parker’s are of no use! So it boils down to what someone is prepared to pay for a classic car and the question “how long is a piece of string “ comes to mind. My gut feel is when the work is done (not until the end of June)- rewrite the advert (I have the advertise until sold option) and raise the price to £5950. It would still be a cheap car. Have you any thoughts? Take a look at the ad and see what you think. I’ve had 1009 views since Sunday evening but only one phone call. Cheers Geoff
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

It looks a good car Geoff, assuming the underneath is solid and sound. What goes against it somewhat is the colour. Bolder colours seem more popular. I reckon it's worth more than you are asking even now, but if you've not had much interest, maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't use Autotrader myself. I have had good results from carandclassic.com, and they don't charge for the ad. I think the classic car buyer is more likely to look there.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Hi Bumpa
Get your point about Harvest Gold. Went to the 60th Anniversary bash at Gaydon and out of over 1000 cars only saw a handful of Harvest Gold. But if you’re looking for one it’s like looking for rocking horse poo! I did find one at the Pride of Longbridge event and I parked next to it and took a photo. I think the car has had work done to the floor as it seems quite sound but not done by a professional judging by the coating of under seal in the spare wheel area. The front wings have been replaced. Thanks for the tip about Car and Classic. A free advert never does any harm. Cheers Geoff