Technical MGB discussion
David Broadhurst
Forename: David
Surname: Broadhurst
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Dashboard illumination

Post by David Broadhurst »

Finally had LED bulbs fitted to dashboard. There is a distinct improvement to readability of instruments but light levels not stupidly bright. Original fuel guage, which is lit from the side rather than from within the instrument, is the one which is still the most dim- markedly better than previously. No need to bypass the rheostat on/ off switch either.
David Broadhurst
1967 Mk1 GT
Roger Boys

Re: Dashboard illumination

Post by Roger Boys »

I also have fitted these and would agree that they do make an improvement
Roger Boys 1964 MGB Roadster Mk 1 "Boneshaker"
Roger Boys

Post by Roger Boys »

David Broadhurst wrote:
> Finally had LED bulbs fitted to dashboard. There is a distinct improvement
> to readability of instruments but light levels not stupidly bright.
> Original fuel guage, which is lit from the side rather than from within the
> instrument, is the one which is still the most dim- markedly better than
> previously. No need to bypass the rheostat on/ off switch either.
Roger Boys 1964 MGB Roadster Mk 1 "Boneshaker"
ROGER COOPER
Forename: ROGER
Surname: COOPER

Post by ROGER COOPER »

I admire you guys for your dedication and persistence in getting behind the dashboard to fit LEDs.

Before I go that far I would first need a set of headlights which will illuminate ANYTHING in FRONT of the car at night as the present ones don't. I am not in the habit of driving much at night but the standard lights on a B are downright scary on unlit roads.

Rog
Roger Cooper
1974 MGB GT
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton

Post by John Watson »

I have changed my halogen heads to LED they are twice as bright and with a white light. Easy to instal just takes the place of the 3 pronged halogen lamp. will insert picture next week
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
David Shannon
Forename: David
Surname: Shannon

Post by David Shannon »

I'm planning on adding LED lighting all round to my B. I'm planning on asking Moss Europe to arrange for the parts to be delivered to the NEC next month. Great to see this innovation on general availability now. http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewP ... exID=24024
--
Ex-1974 MGB Roadster owner & Ex-Lotus Elise S owner.
Tim Moore
Forename: Tim
Surname: Moore

Post by Tim Moore »

Fitted LED bulbs to instruments in September. Effect is brilliant, LED bulbs differ in throw capability etc. Mine were from USA source. No longer an issue now but be aware LED bulbs don't dim via the rheostat without special wiring which I didn't bother with since never dimmed the instruments bulbs anyway.
Living life in The Hebrides since 1990
Anthony Coates
Forename: Anthony
Surname: Coates

Post by Anthony Coates »

I have equipped the entire car with LEDs, all sourced from China via EBay, came to less than a 20 quid. One should remember that the flasher relay also has to be replaced. There are two pronged solid state relays available.
I Found that getting coloured i.e Red or Orange as appropriate is an advantage, as pure white brake LEDs behind a red lens results in PINK.....

Moss have a nice idea with the MGA rear lights, rather than having an array fitted to a lamp base, they have a circuit board with LEDs distributed to take up the whole of the lens area, rather like a modern car.
I'm due to fit new rear light units, I will have to have a play with the old ones to see if a similar device can be configured.

I see to think that external lamps have to meet certain regulations, suggesting that LEDs as a replacement for filament lamps might not be strictly legal if not approved.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

ROGER COOPER wrote:
> I admire you guys for your dedication and persistence in getting behind
> the dashboard to fit LEDs.
>
> Before I go that far I would first need a set of headlights which will
> illuminate ANYTHING in FRONT of the car at night as the present ones don't.
> I am not in the habit of driving much at night but the standard lights on
> a B are downright scary on unlit roads.
>
> Rog

Although I haven't tried LED bulbs as John suggested, I have used Lucas H4 units with high light power output bulbs with great success. The light units have a convex lens similar to the original units, unlike the widely available Wipac units which are quite flat. (Probably the best you can get are Cibie H180s but they are very expensive these days). Make sure you get genuine Lucas units though which are around £33 - £35 per pair depending on where you buy, and personally I have found suppliers of Mini parts to be slightly cheaper than MG parts suppliers. They are available with or without built in side lights and usually come with standard H4 bulbs and the bulbs and holders for the sidelights where applicable. The high output bulbs draw the same (or slightly more power than a sealed beam unit) power ie 60/55W, but have up to 90% greater light output depending on the bulbs you buy, and you shouldn't have a wiring problem with this slight increase. +90% bulbs can be £25+ per pair, but the do vastly improve visibility. Keep the ones that came with the unit as emergency spares. Don't be tempted by 'Rally' bulbs or those marked 'For off road use only'. These are usually very high electrical power (up to 190/130W) and can result in a wiring loom fire.
It might be worthwhile checking what type of headlight units you already have. If they are sealed beam type, although they were a vast improvement when introduced you can do better these days. If they are H4 type try the better bulbs I suggested above before buying new units. I have also found that there is a great power loss in the headlight wiring circuits and in particular the bundle of connectors behind the front grille. Here they are subjected to all the weather that can be thrown at them and corrode quite badly. Much improvement can be had by cleaning up the bullet ends on the wires and using new connectors. Even better is to solder on new Lucar bullet ends. This nearly doubled the light output on my 69 roadster. Don't use the thin brass type bullet end with the wire just pushed in and folded back, and don't be tempted by the blue scotchlock type of connectors (electrically quite nasty things!) - the improvement will not last!.
This is about as much you can do without modifying the wiring and using relays with heavy duty cable in the headlight circuits. You need to know what you are doing to achieve this as it is all to easy to connect a +ve directly to a -ve!
Hope this helps
Pete
Last edited by Peter Cresswell on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Tim Moore
Forename: Tim
Surname: Moore

Post by Tim Moore »

Tim Moore wrote:
> * LED bulbs to instruments in September. Effect is brilliant, LED bulbs
> differ in throw capability etc. Mine were from USA source. No longer an
> issue now but be aware LED bulbs don't dim via the rheostat without special
> wiring which I didn't bother with since never dimmed the instruments bulbs
> anyway.

My Dash instrument LED bulbs were sourced from:

Veloce Solutions.
Joe Parlanti,
16048 Copne Meadow Drive,
North Potomac.Md 20878
USA
Email: jvparlanti@gmail.com

Not expensive and quick service to UK.

They have an excellent spread of illumination.
Attachments
LED Instrument Bulbs
LED Instrument Bulbs
P9280454 (300x225).jpg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 21402 times
Living life in The Hebrides since 1990