Technical MGB discussion
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes

Technical Day 2024

Post by Paul Scott »

unnamed.jpg
We are excited to bring back a technical day for 2024.
Our Technical Day Thursday 29th February, courtesy of Unit 70 Classic Cars, Sandford Lane, Oxford OX1 5RW. There will be complementary light refreshments available and plenty of time for chatting. This year we will have three ‘work stations’, that will cover the fitting of Electronic Ignition, Front Steering and Suspension, and Demonstration of fitting a Dynamo to Alternator upgrade. The day will be split into morning and afternoon sessions so you can choose which two of the three activities you would like to participate in. This is a great opportunity to ask the experts any questions you may have.
This event is limited to 30 Persons and there is a charge of £10 per person.
If you would like to book a place please visit https://www.mgb-register.org/events/technical-day/

Closing date for booking is Sunday 18th February or when all of the spaces are taken.
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Re: Technical Day 2024

Post by Bumpa »

I know it's hard to cover all members, but so many of the Register events are south of Birmingham. The 400 mile drive excludes any possibility of me attending the Technical Day. I was secretary of the Caledonian Centre for 6 years and we couldn't find a sensible way to include members living north of the central belt. "Natters" were impossible to arrange. We tried in several locations and nobody came due to distance. There is no solution, but to those of us north of Birmingham it often seems as though almost all MGB owners must live in Oxfordshire.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

Its a fair drag for those of us South of Birmingham. It does seem that both the B and Midget registers have become very Oxfordshirecentric. I appreciate its hard for Registers because its not possible to cover the whole country but taking the F register as example they have regional groups. If we look at the Natters listings we see no evidence of Natters in Wales or Lancashire which is a poor show.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi All
As a member of the MGB Register committee, I think I should respond to the comments.
It is the reginal centres of the car club that are responsible for organizing Natters, not the registers.
Yes, the B register is aware of event's centering on Oxfordshire. However ,along with many other Registers we struggle to recruit committee members, regional reps and even a register chairman. (Still no volunteer’s after advertising for nearly 2 years.) Even the simplest event takes a lot of effort,(Paperwork such as insurance , permits etc so without a regional representative it can be challenging and expensive to arrange events without the local input.
On the positive side, we now have regional reps for the South-west and East and have organize/attend events last year outside Oxfordshire, for instance Sherborne Castle, Basingstoke and Calne, as well as the Register weekend in Devon. However, the response on occasion was very disappointing, which is very disheartening for the committee organisers. So to answer the criticism, for the register to offer country wide events we need regional representatives in other areas. So if there is anyone out there who may be interested, then please get in touch.
This year’s Technical event is being sponsored by U70 Classic car’s, part of Kennington motors. The garage is well respected with MGB owners and Dan (The owner) owns 6 MGB’s, racing 2 of them. I trust them with my car for MOTS etc. They have been very generous in donating the electronic ignition and powelite alternator/dynamo conversion and are providing the facilities, coffee and cakes. If any of you know of a garage in your area that would be happy to sponsor such an event, then get in touch, and we will try to organize something north of Birmingham.
We will be at the NEC in March attending the classic car show so come and say hello.
Best regards
Mike Barclay