Leather trim

Technical MGB discussion
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Leather trim

Post by GeoffK »

Hi. I have a 1973 GT Harvest Gold and with chrome bumpers. It currently has black leather seat covers with maroon piping. Does anyone know whether leather trim was offered as a factory fit option back in the day? Cheers Geoff
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Leather trim

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi Geoff,
Clausager says that Leather was discontinued from the 1970 model year , with leather upholstery replaced by Ambla, which for the first year was offered only in black , thereafter additionally in Autumn leaf .In 1972 the black trim was replaced by Navy (a very dark blue) & GT models had their seat centre panels in brushed nylon. On 1973 models GTs had all-nylon seat facings & revised seat patterns with transverse pleating. For this one model year Autumn Leaf was replaced by a lighter yellow/brown colour called Ochre, although at the end of the 1973 model year Navy & Ochre were replaced by black & Autumn Leaf again. Clausager does not indicate that leather was offered as a factory fitted option - he does however say that " BMC approved accessories" which he indicates were , with a few exceptions , not available as factory fitted options were purchased by customers at the point of delivery or later.
In his list of accessories he refers to seat covers being available in Ocelot/Leopard,Wool Tartan, Moquette,Rayon, Bedford Cord, Duracour/Leathercloth,plastic - offered for both seats or driver's seat only. (He says approved accessories became available from 1962 , but does not say which were available at any particular time).
Clausager states that a 1973 model year Harvest Gold GT would come with Navy Trim.
Hope the above helps.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Bumpa »

I think the maroon piping points to these being an aftermarket fitment, without even considering all the points Charles has made.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Post by GeoffK »

Thanks for your help. I thought that the maroon piping was a giveaway. Doesn’t really go with the Harvest Gold colour spectrum. The reason for the question was that I was just drying to assess how close to manufacturers spec my car was. The main deviations being the seating material and the under front bumper air dam and removal of bumper over-riders - otherwise there are very few tweaks. Cheers Geoff
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Black seats with maroon piping are unlikely to have been ordered from new as a dealer option or purchased as a later upgrade for a Harvest Gold B.

My money would be on a previous owner having bought these seats second hand on the basis that their excellent condition and tempting price outweighed the colour mismatch.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF