Wheel Nut Stripped

Technical MGB discussion
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Wheel Nut Stripped

Post by Bumpa »

I've never seen this before in over 50 years of car maintenance. Tightening up my wheel nuts after having the wheel off and one nut wouldn't tighten. Took it off and the thread had separated from the body of the nut. The stud is fine and another nut tightened up nicely. I never overtighten these nuts. I just use a socket handle about a foot long. The car hasn't had any garage work done on it for years, so it hasn't been over tightened with an air gun. Weird.
Stripped wheel nut.jpg
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Re: Wheel Nut Stripped

Post by Ian F »

I've never seen that either! I always use a torque wrench and lightly oiled threads (not grease).

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Bumpa

Post by Bumpa »

I bought four replacement nuts so I would have some spares and although they fit the studs and have the correct taper they are 1/16" larger across the flats. The originals are 3/4" and the new are 13/16". So now I have to carry two different sizes of wheel nut tools! I also lightly oil the wheel nuts Ian.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
John 37
Forename: John
Surname: Manders

Post by John 37 »

I've seen nuts strip like that quite a few times.
I bought a set of stainless nuts for my car. They're 13/16 like yours. They also feel loose on the studs. It's like the thread is slightly too large diameter. I rely on the large length of thread to provide ths necessary strength. Sofar, so good.
Bumpa

Post by Bumpa »

I tried stainless wheel nuts some years ago but I found that they were prone to seize on the thread due to some reaction between the steel stud and the stainless nut, I believe its called galling. I had a terrible job getting one off at one time so I binned them. And yes, I had oiled the threads.
Mike
Issug987
Surname: B

Post by Issug987 »

I don't use any lubrication on the threads, it would have a significant impact on the torque setting, it is unlikely one could accuratly adjust or compensate for the difference. Also, the thread length has little effect after about a nut length, only to slightly increase the friction and reduce the clamping force....perhaps just the correct lubricant could offset this !!