High torque starter

Technical MGB discussion
Issug987
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

High torque starter

Post by Issug987 »

Has anyone fitted one of the high torque starter motors? If so what are your results, looking to fit one, the theory is good, gust concern about the quality? Thanks.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: High torque starter

Post by Ian F »

Just my opinion (I have always had a standard original starter):

The standard starter is very long lasting and works perfectly well. If you are having to replace yours, then relative costs might be the determining factor.

Otherwise, I would think that unless you have a highly modified car, perhaps used for competition, with a very high CR, then you do not need any extra torque to turn the engine and start it.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

I haven't fitted one to my MG but have a WOSP high torque starter on my Land Rover and am impressed with it. It's mich smaller than the standard bulky one and draws less current, about 1,400 amps.
Well worth the expense.
If fitting it to a rubber bumper B with the ballast resistor ignition make sure you order one with the extra terminal on the motor for the connection to bypass the resistor when the engine is started. This can catch out the unwary.
I've noticed in many an advert for starter motors it's claimed they will fit 1967 onwards MGB's but they don't have that extra terminal required for when ballast resistor ignition is fitted.
Last edited by Vic Butler on Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Issug987

Post by Issug987 »

Thanks for the replies, the starter does not need to be replaced, as you say , it works fine. I was interested in the high torque option for a couple of reasons, it's lighter, draws less current, but most importantly spins the engine faster during starting, this is better for me as the car has a mapped ignition and fuel injection, it actually retards the timing to 6deg ATDC during cranking, I was mostly concerned that these actually worked and were good quality items, I'll get one and see, thanks..
Bumpa
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

I had the starter fail on my V8 and I bought a WOSP high torque starter from Clive Wheatley. What a difference! Not only is it easier to fit due to its smaller size but it spins the 3.9 litre V8 at least twice as fast as the original. Clive says he has never had one returned.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

I reckon that not all the high torque starter motors available are of good quality. WOSP in my opinion is the best one.
The one on my Land Rover spins the engine over faster than the tickover speed.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Issug987

Post by Issug987 »

Thanks for the info, just what I was after, I had a look on the WOSP website last night and ordered one this morning, the alternators look good too....