What’s the worst job on an MG

General MGB discussion
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: What’s the worst job on an MG

Post by Tom Brearley »

May I make the case for the gearbox cross-member? With the 'box fitted to the car, it's practically impossible to get a socket onto the bolts holding the rubber mounts to the 'box. Or at least - if you do one side, you can't do the other. In the end, I resorted to cutting holes in the cross-member to provide better access.

PS - When I removed my heater for a refub, in place of the rubber block were two pieces of seat foam which someone had cut holes into to meet the vents. It seems to work fine and was no trouble to re-fit.
IMG_1100.JPG
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Bumpa »

When I rebuilt the roadster a year ago I followed Michael Beswick's method of modifying the crossmember. It worked well for me. See attached PDF.
Attachments
MGB GEARBOX MOUNTS.pdf
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 5646 times
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
JohnH
Forename: John
Surname: Howard
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by JohnH »

Agree with the circlip on the rear wheel cylinder. I resorted to bending the tabs a little in the vice to suit the groove better and levering on with a screwdriver.
Wish I'd seen the socket and bolt solution first!
Agree also that heater conundrom. I had published a complete article in MGOC magazine in 2017. Click on link below.
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AnZDbPwo0NI5jGA_UlO ... O?e=XtALaz
Issug987
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Post by Issug987 »

For me.....Changing and adjusting the reverse light switch on the gearbox while still in the car....