Seat adjustment

General MGB discussion
A D Price
Forename: Alun
Surname: Price

Seat adjustment

Post by A D Price »

I am finding my MGBGT short of headroom. Not sure if the webasto sunroof takes any headroom but could do with an extra inch. Does anybody make lowered runners for the seats or has anybody got any tips. My car is 1974.
Thanks
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Seat adjustment

Post by Tom Brearley »

Sounds like a pain in the neck!

You could maybe experiment with loosening the webbing which the seat foam sits on?
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Post by Allan T »

You've checked you have the standard slender wooden supports under your runners? The shorter-than-average p/o had fitted 2" x 2" in mine. Worth a look, if you haven't already. Good luck!
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

I'm only 5' 8" with short legs and a longer back and I have enough headroom in the GT. But when I took it on a local circuit and had to wear a helmet, I was forced to bend my neck to get under the roof. So I understand where you are coming from. How tall are you, and is your height in your back or legs? A very tall friend gets away by reclining the seat more.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
A D Price
Forename: Alun
Surname: Price

Post by A D Price »

Thanks for your replies took the wood out under the runners which has helped. As for putting the seat back in -thats fiddly
Alun
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

A tip for refitting the seat. Get hold of four extra bolts of a reasonable length. Cut their heads off. Screw them into the seat fixing holes. Place seat over the headless bolts, then remove them one by one putting the correct bolts in their place. Makes it much easier.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Post by Allan T »

Separate backs and squabs when refitting seats.

It adds a stage to the job, but makes it so very much easier and - counterintuitively - quicker.

Good luck!