Misfire at 5000rpm

Technical MGB discussion
whitestu
Forename: stu
Surname: white

Misfire at 5000rpm

Post by whitestu »

Just got my B back on the road after sitting for 20+ years and I'm in the process of getting everything set up - Generally runs OK, though has a bad misfire that comes in at 5000rpm and won't rev any more. Up to that the car accelerates well and seems to perform OK, though the carbs aren't perfectly set up as I can' get the idle quite right. Idles smoothly, but idle speed is variable and AFR seem to indicate it's a bit rich - sitting usually around 10 but fluctuating between 10-15 when hot. I need to spend some more time on the idle mixture to find the problem and fix it. The carbs have been stripped and cleaned but none of the internal components have been replaced.

It has an old electronic ignition that it came with, new plugs, rotor arm, cap and leads. So far I have swapped the coil which made no difference and am in the process of swapping out everything else on the ignition side to troubleshoot. Timing is 14 degrees at 1000 rpm.

If anyone has come across a similar high rev misfire I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Stu
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Misfire at 5000rpm

Post by Vic Butler »

Is there a rev limiter on the electronic ignition system?
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine