Track day modifications

Requirements and preparation - no event reports please!
1340fxd
Forename: Rene
Surname: Chinnery
MGCC Member: Yes

Track day modifications

Post by 1340fxd »

My first time out at Snetterton in the MGB has helped me very much decide on where I need to go from here. The cornering was awful on standard hight rubber-bumper suspension and standard 14” rims and road tyres – all made worse by a standard soft seat that meant I had to brace myself around every tight corner. I only have a couple of weeks to get ready for Castle Combe so I’m thinking of the following two modifications:

1. Seat – I am looking at a Cobra Cub bucket seat with headrest or Corbeau Classic bucket seat or OMP Classic and whichever, want it to be adjustable on runners. The narrow cabin restricts width to about 460mm it would appear. Before I commit, what do you use please?
2. Wheels & Tyres – Minator 15” 8 spoke aluminium look the way to go in 5.5” width. Tyre choice appears to be YOKOHAMA NEOVA 195/55 R15 or Toyo 888 195/55 R15 which will both under-gear the car or Avon ZV7 which will allow 195/60 or even 195/65 R15 – the latter giving standard gearing. I know some use 205 width tyres but that may be a bit tight inside standard bodywork. Again, before I commit, your thoughts would be welcome please.

After these modifications, I will look at stiffer anti-roll bar and lowering the suspension. The front has the MOSS coil over with Gaz shockers conversion so all I should need to do is lower it. The back has Monroe shock conversion and again lowering will be the way to go.