Where is the engine number stamped on a V8?

General MGB discussion
1340fxd
Forename: Rene
Surname: Chinnery
MGCC Member: Yes

Where is the engine number stamped on a V8?

Post by 1340fxd »

I'm trying to verify my GT V8 engine number but where do I find it please? :?
JaceyMccann
Forename: Jacey
Surname: Mccann

Re: Where is the engine number stamped on a V8?

Post by JaceyMccann »

The location of the engine number on the V8 may predominate depending on the specific model and year of the engine. However, typically the engine number on a V8 is located on the side of the cylinder block, near the front or rear of the engine. Also, some vehicle manufacturers may place the engine number on other parts of the engine, such as the cylinder head or crankcase, so a specific vehicle operating assignment is recommended to determine the exact location of the engine number on your vehicle's V8.
Last edited by JaceyMccann on Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

On my 3.9 engine it is shown in my photo by the yellow circle.Image
Engine Number position.jpg
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Guys
For V8 Car enquiries you might find the V8 register more useful.
https://www.v8register.net/
mike
1340fxd
Forename: Rene
Surname: Chinnery

Post by 1340fxd »

Mike - thanks but I can't join the V8 Register as I have no idea of the name of the person who produced MGV8s before the Abingdon plant!

I have found the engine number - it's on the left at the back near the transmission / clutch. Best of all, it confirms my car is indeed a matching numbers factory original :D
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Rene
Not sure i understand your reply. if your car is an original Factory V8 , they will welcome you with open arms. The registration form only requires your name , address , engine /chassis No and colour. The V8 Register has a vast amount of information and will probably have a record of your car and could provide information on its past history.
Costello were to orginal manufactures of a V8 version of the MGB GT before MG decided to produce an official version.
Great cars. I use to own a White chrome bumper one, chassis No 1100 back in 1976.
Mike
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

The V8 Register is for all MGB V8s, whether factory cars, conversions (like mine), RV8s, V8 MG ZTs and SV-R. The answer to the question is Ken Costello.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.