1970 MGB collets

Technical MGB discussion
Twinspin
Forename: Michael
Surname: Ryall
MGOC Member: Yes

1970 MGB collets

Post by Twinspin »

Overhauling the head on my 1970 MGB roadster, I notice the collets are held in by a spring clip placed in a groove in the collets. I also noted that the valve stem seals are used on these collets in the form of an O ring. I have purchased a later type of valve seal which fits over the valve guide. Having lost the last collet (which will probably turn up in a years time from some hidden corner of the workshop) I have bought another pair of this type of collet but wonder if it is necessary to fit the O ring types as well as the others to help secure these type of collets. Also, are the securing springs really necessary as the later type of collet never used the securing springs. Your guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 1970 MGB collets

Post by Ian F »

Hi Mike, I can give you my opinions but they may not be what everyone else thinks. I have rebuilt many B series, A series, and Triumph TR engines but have no engineering qualifications as such!
# oil stem seals- the later type (a cap rather than an O ring) are undoubtedly more effective. I usually find the O ring type fracture easily and end up in the oil under the rocker cover. Take your pick which you install. I didn't bother fitting them sometimes, especially on exhaust valves, - pressure tends to not draw oil down those guides.
# spring clips - optional again I think. I wouldn't bother with them. I suppose they may have some function if valve bounce occurs at high revs?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Statler
Forename: Stephen
Surname: McClune

Re: 1970 MGB collets

Post by Statler »

When stripping the head on my MGB last year, it had the O ring seals. They were clearly original and whilst intact, were as hard as steel, so serving no useful purpose.

New O rings came with the head gasket set, but I replaced them with the modern cap type.