MG TF

General MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

MG TF

Post by Not_Anumber »

With the GT now under cover at last I couldnt turn down the opportunity to buy a 2002 TF the other day that a friend had taken in part exchange. It coincided with my wife needing to borrow my daily car for a few days whilst the clutch was replaced on hers.

Mine is the 1.6 115bhp cooking version rather than one of the quicker ones. It does seem a completely different beast to the B chiefly as it is rear engined, The head gasket was replaced at one point to work around the usual K series engine issue and it doesnt overheat so Im hoping it will be more usable fun car than an immediate money pit.

What is the view, should i just pootle around in it until the GT is eventually back on the road or consider keeping it as a stable mate ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: MG TF

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

Well we've got both although the TF is on SORN now until April. We went out in the B on Friday as the roads were dry with very little salt in evidence. The B is exempt from Tax and MOT so can be used anytime. We use the TF for longer MG excursions as it has better performance, is more comfortable and economical. Its been as far as Lake Garda. We bought an 05MY (one of the last 500 to come out of Longbridge) over 10 years ago and I had MLS gasket, uprated head bolts and oil rail fitted as a precaution. Its given no trouble since but in that time has only done 35,000 miles. Ours is the 1.8 but it seems the head gasket of the 1.6 with it shorter stroke is just as likely to fail. My daughter had two go on hers so she lost confidence and got rid. If the liner standproud is within specification then the MLS is the way to go. Coincidentally the bore and stroke of the 1.8 K series is within a fraction of a millimetre to that of the B series. I still enjoy driving the vintage experience of the B although it gives me back ache these days and its proving difficult for us to get in and out. (old age, I suppose). I'm sure the B will outlast the TF especially as that lives outdoors.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF