Technical MGB discussion
MikeD
Forename: Mike
Surname: Dixon
MGCC Member: Yes

Upgrading the Fuses

Post by MikeD »

Hi

I am new to the forum as a member but I have been lurking for a while, learning lots.

In the Battery Charging Thread there was a picture of an engine bay with an 8-way Blade Fuse box, which is something I am thinking of doing this winter. I already have some in-line ones for overdrive, fuel pump and the light relays but would like to split out some of the circuits and move over to blades.

I had a play around with a 6-way using wired jumpers between the terminals but have not fitted it yet. To be honest it all looked a bit tight, that 8 ways looked a lot neater and has split out some of the circuits. I have still to work out the best way of doing that.

I have a permanently live fused 4-way box next to the existing fuse box which feeds the light relays and is handy for the timing light.

Has anyone got a wiring diagram/advice on how to proceed? I am very wary of chopping the loom, but suspect I will have to for this. I have Astley’s Electrical Systems book but not the ‘B’ specific one - might that help?

Thanks

Mike
ChargedAutoGT
Forename: Graham
Surname: Moore
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Upgrading the Fuses

Post by ChargedAutoGT »

google
advanced autowire mgb
fior some great schematics that many folks use.
G
Bumpa
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

That is my red roadster in the picture you mention. I have not chopped any of the wires in the new wiring harness I bought, but that does lead to a bit of over-crowding at the fusebox. If you look at the existing fusebox you will see that some inputs are joined together, and I have done that with the 8-way box. I soldered links between inputs 1 and 2, 3 and 4, and all four terminals 5 to 8 are linked together as well. This allows you to keep the original wires on the input side, that is the red/green from the light switch serving 1 & 2, the white from the ignition switch serving 3 & 4, and the two browns from the alternator serving 5 to 8.

The main issue is that the output side only has single terminals for each fuse. I got round this by using this type of piggy back connector https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk ... e-3-into-1 The blades on the connector can be bent to make best fit and any spare blades can be cut off. It gets a little crowded on the output side but I got them all connected and there haven't been any problems.

Here is a little diagram I put together when I was contemplating this job. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Mike
Fusebox.jpg
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
MikeD
Surname: Dixon

Post by MikeD »

Thanks, that is just the sort of thing I am after., Plenty to think about for this winter

Mike