A sad day, and a favour asked

General MGB discussion
DickBrowne
Forename: Richard
Surname: Browne

A sad day, and a favour asked

Post by DickBrowne »

Sadly we’ve had some mildly distressing news which has bought some things into focus Chez Browne, and one of the outcomes for various reasons is that I am thinking seriously about selling my MG, which is something I didn’t think I’d be doing for many years.

I don’t want to dwell on the reasons behind the sale, but I do want to ask for a favour in the form of an opinion and a few minutes to read the below.

The car isn’t perfect - I had plans this winter to have the headlight replaced and then the paint flatted and polished - total cost less than £1000. There are a couple of small oil leaks, nothing to write home about but a bit of a sod to fix. I have fixed the major leaks, the oil lines, the rocker gasket and the side covers, but the remaining leak (rear seal and the gearbox and diff drain plugs) are inconsequential and I had planned to leave them until the car needed a new clutch (rear main seal) and, again, the winter when I would have drained and refilled the gearbox and diff oil.

Other than those bits, the car is in really good condition. I bought it because it was (and still is) rust free, but it did throw up some surprises.

The oil lines were perished so I replaced them
There was play in the steering rack so I fitted a new one with new track rod ends and a new steering column U/J
The cooling system was compromised, with a really badly fitted electric fan, so I renewed the radiator, hoses and water pump, fitted a thermostat (it didn’t have one!) and a new metal fan
Lots and lots of aesthetic and electrical fixes - rear hatch spring covers, switches, making sure that all of the dashboard lights match, tidying the dash layout, lots of stuff.
New heater cables and all flaps and valves free-running
Rear brakes were discs, but I found that they ruined the feel and had no power, wouldn’t even lock the wheels, so I bought new drums and everything I needed to convert it back. Perfect brakes now.

The car is a 1967 Mk1 GT in mineral blue with 82000 miles on the clock. It is absolutely rust free too and bottom, waxoyled below and good joins on the wing tops etc and a Britax “Webasto” sunroof (now properly aligned and free running)

It has telescopic dampers on the back, I do have a pair of parabolic springs to go on at some point, it has electronic ignition and a brake servo.

The question is, what’s it worth? I have no idea but would absolutely welcome your thoughts and opinions.

I’ll get some pics up later when I get to my laptop.

Thank you for taking the time to read this far and for your thoughts on value.
DickBrowne

Re: A sad day, and a favour asked

Post by DickBrowne »

As promised, here’s a couple of pics to give you an idea of the car.
Attachments
64EDF15B-757E-4927-99FC-9CB2A4ED2697.jpeg
5C0B90E8-EE46-4103-9CD6-77664D6B505C.jpeg
FF0B224E-CC02-4458-BB6E-E587682B911A.jpeg
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

Very sorry to hear this news Dick, I wish you well for your future.
Valuing the BGT is difficult without a full inspection and a good peruse of the cars history. So only you know these details. The MGOC site lists lots of BGTs for sale, this may help give you a guide?
I would tentatively suggest £8-£12k depending on condition and history.
Best regards
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Post by GeoffK »

Hi Dick
I was considering selling mine so I went onto Autotrader where there were about 28 BGT’s for sale ranging from 1967 to 1980. I listed all the mileages and age and highlighted the ones closest to mine in terms of those criteria. I then looked at the adverts in detail and compared the selling features with mine and then arrived at an average price which was quite a bit more than I thought. There is another website for Classic cars but these seem to be ones that have been highly modified.
Mine is a 1973 M reg with chrome bumpers and the prices ranged between £6000 up to £12000. I paid £3950 for mine 6months ago.
Hope this helps
Geoff
DickBrowne

Post by DickBrowne »

Thanks chaps. The car is now on eBay for £10250 or near offer, and on car and classic for a bit less.

A sad day indeed, but I’ve enjoyed the car whilst I’ve had it and I’m sure that it will go to the right new owner, and once things level out, a new project will be on the horizon.
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Tom Brearley »

Really sorry to hear you're having to part with the car, Dick. I hope you'll be able to get back to Bs in due course.

Best wishes
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf