Replacing rear spring hangers

Technical MGB discussion
iab72bgt
Forename: ian
Surname: mackinnon

Replacing rear spring hangers

Post by iab72bgt »

'72 'bgt

Are there any YT Vids or good instructions on how to replace a spring hanger. I have the parts coming but I cannot seem to find anything on the 'inet on actually doing it.

Anyone have any links ?

Thanks
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Replacing rear spring hangers

Post by Ian F »

Ian,
this may not be helpful, but this is what I did and what I would do if it's possible?
I am assuming that we are talking about the rear hanger of the rear spring?
Mine had some corrosion but I managed to leave enough in place to ensure I got the location absolutely correct. This is vital of course.
If I remember correctly I had to replace one side of the chassis rail in the main, so the actual tube for the shackle was not disturbed. This does entail some careful cutting followed by seam welding where joining pieces of panel.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
iab72bgt

Post by iab72bgt »

Thanks Ian,

I have the car flipped upside down now.. I suspended it by the front spring hangers and below. Will be removing the unit I made that connects the car on to the rotisserie..

Not much out there on this.. even though I know it is not that uncommon ..

The key will be to go slow am measure..

Thanks, Ian.

Ian Fozzard wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:01 am Ian,
this may not be helpful, but this is what I did and what I would do if it's possible?
I am assuming that we are talking about the rear hanger of the rear spring?
Mine had some corrosion but I managed to leave enough in place to ensure I got the location absolutely correct. This is vital of course.
If I remember correctly I had to replace one side of the chassis rail in the main, so the actual tube for the shackle was not disturbed. This does entail some careful cutting followed by seam welding where joining pieces of panel.

Ian F
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

Careful measurements with good access as you have should work fine. The factory workshop manual has lots of useful dimensions for the body and frame.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
iab72bgt

Post by iab72bgt »

Would love to see someone doing it first but I guess it doesn't exist.. tons on vids doing important stuff like how to change your oil :)

Thanks
Ian