Drive it day 2022

General MGB discussion
DickBrowne
Forename: Richard
Surname: Browne

Drive it day 2022

Post by DickBrowne »

Anybody planning on doing anything for Drive it day this year?

I've got my plaque and I'm planning on going out for lunch somewhere, hopefully where I can meet some like-minded folk, but at the moment I'm struggling to find anythng local to me (near to Milton Keynes).

Typically, I missed out on tickets for the Bicester Scramble on Sunday, but have managed to get some for tomorrow, so I'll be heading there with my wife and GT tomorrow, then Hagerty offered me a place on their drive to Bicester, with a free ticket for the Sunday Scramble, but I thought it unfair to take a free ticket when I was already attending on Sunday, so... I may be friendless and alone on Sunday, but I'm hoping to see a lot of other classics out and about.

What are your plans, if anything?
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Drive it day 2022

Post by Paul Scott »

Drive it Day run with Hagerty.

Starting at HQ (Paulersbury ish) then 75ish mies drive to Bicester Scramble dedicated parking.

StaySafe & B Good

Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

I've got 17 cars from our natter in Stone, Staffordshire going to the Sandbach Transport Festival. Four are MGs - 2 MGBs (including mine), an MGA and RV8 and the rest range from a Bentley Continental to a Morgan 3 Wheeler. Breakfast bun and coffee at the start and an interesting route there and back. Should be a great day out!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
DickBrowne
Forename: Richard
Surname: Browne

Post by DickBrowne »

So how was everybody's day? Did you all make the most of it?

How was Bicester Paul? We had a great time there on Saturday and the Sunday Scramble always proved to be a good event.

We did about 100 miles in the GT today, around the lanes of Bucks, Northants and Oxon with an ice cream break at Brackley.

I’d been having issues with the carb settings in my car on Saturday, the pick up from low revs was very spluttery and rough. I diagnosed a mixture problem and managed to get it adjusted somewhere near for today. Whilst the mixture seemed better, the idle wouldn’t sit right and as I came off the throttle, the revs dropped to around 2000 and then very slowly down to 1500, but no lower. Although the car ran better, the idle meant that driving slowly required the changing down a gear, or the engine just pushed the car along too fast and made the drive less pleasant than it should have been.

Upon arrival at home, I set to with a new found resolve and a screwdriver, then I noticed that the middle spring on the carburettors, the one that ensures that the throttle is properly closed, was missing. Luckily I had some spares in the garage so I took an air filter off, popped a spring on and set the idle at 700, then went for a drive.

What a transformation. The car revved nicely, gear changes were sweeter, both up and down, and sitting in traffic was far more comfortable. For the first time since I’ve had the car, I felt it was driving as it should, and was a pleasure to be out in. In the space of a dozen miles, I forgave my little GT everything.

I had been considering swapping for an MGA or even, don’t say it too loud, a Morris Traveller! Now, not a chance. This GT is staying.

All in all, a great end to drive-it-day.
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

We did the run organised by the MG Car Club Midland Centre which started and finished in Malvern. It was a re-run of the Three counties run we put of for the MG and Triumph weekend. Well done to Bob Blackstock for a very scenic 65 mile route. We enjoyed the coffee stop at Westons Cider Mill in Much Marcle. We finished with a great lunch at the Blue Bell Inn at Barnards Green. 22 cars took part (20 MGs plus 1 Austin Healey). Weather was sunny if a little cold initially. We ran into a few other classic car runs too.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF