Can’t refit Distributor!

Technical MGB discussion
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Can’t refit Distributor!

Post by Peter Cresswell »

The distributor drive slot and the drive dog on the distributor are offset, This is why when it was turned through 180 deg it suddenly slotted in. This is a copy of the diagram in the Workshop Manual
MGB Distributor drive offset.jpg
When setting it up the drive shaft in the engine should be inserted with the larger portion of the offset at the top. This allows the distributor to be removed in the future without losing the basic ignition timing.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Bourne
Forename: D
Surname: Bourne
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Can’t refit Distributor!

Post by Bourne »

Bourne wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:30 am Ian,

You are absolutely right: the Distributor that came out was a 45D4 and the replacement was a 25D4. I’ll pull out and reseat as you suggest and will edit this post to confirm the outcome.

Thanks for the D&G

David
Ian, Peter,

Thank you again for the D&G. I followed Ian’s recommendation in removing the bracket and found it wouldn’t stay open when loosened. It therefore wasn’t possible for it to open enough to grip the distributor at the right point of the neck.

The solution was to fit the bracket onto the right part of the distributor neck and then insert back into the engine block as a single unit. Not an easy exercise it took me the best part of an hour to get the right most bolt tightened with the distributor body sitting there in front of it. But it is done - and a new bracket will be in the box of parts in case I ever have to have the distributor out again!

For the benefit of any other newbie / novice trying to see exactly how the bracket grips the distributor - I snapped a photo and have added here.
Attachments
E478357C-EE44-483E-ADDA-2FDE54A93F8F.jpeg
David Bourne
1974 MGB Tourer Mk.III