Sealing oil cooler lines

Technical MGB discussion
DickBrowne
Forename: Richard
Surname: Browne

Sealing oil cooler lines

Post by DickBrowne »

Ah, the curse of reproduction parts strikes again... Having spent a couple of weeks discussing with a supplier my opinion that one of their oil cooler lines may be too short, and the supplier (very helpfully, I have to say, this is absolutely not a rant against a supplier) sent me diagrams and all sorts of things which convinced me to give it all a go...

So, I removed the old lines, destroying the rubber grommets in the process, managed to unscrew the unions (one of which was a leaky mess and the reason for swapping the lines out), the new ones are... Too short. But only the short one.

I've asked the supplier for more assistance and have no doubt that they will help as they can, but there is another issue - the right angle elbow which goes into the oil cooler on the short line is at the wrong angle. If I loosen the engine end to allow the pipe to swivel enough to get the right angle elbow at the right angle to get onto the cooler, it's even shorter.

So, I think it's just poor quality parts that are the issue...

Anyway, my intermediate plan is to pop the old lines back on, but the originals had no sealing washers or anything in them - so my question is, should they have? Is there a vital washer or rubber sealing ring missing, and if so, which ones? The parts suppliers websites I've looked at (can't call as the suppliers are all closed at this time) are inconclusive.

Thanks in advance

Richard
DickBrowne

Re: Sealing oil cooler lines

Post by DickBrowne »

AB564D0B-A790-419F-9CAB-FBBA0B59C26B.jpeg
45CAE46B-779A-4DF8-A475-084690E1BD79.jpeg
Thought a couple of snaps may help to illustrate the problem with the new lines.
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

Dick,

I'm not sure what year your car is,but Moss shows 2 different sets of hoses for the chrome bumpered cars & depending on year the hoses at the oil filter end appear to be connected the other way round. The respective lengths of the hoses may well be different, which could be part of the problem you are experiencing.

Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Im conscious the position of the oil cooler changed at least once during the B's run.
I wrongly ordered and proceeded to try and fit a pair of early oil cooler hoses on my late RB BGT which I then realised needed longer hoses as the oil cooler is mounted in a lower position than on the earlier cars.

I therefore have, if they are any use to you, 2 spare oil cooler hoses going begging:

The first is 38 inches long just the rubber bit or 41 inches including the length of the metal unions. The unions at both ends are right angles. You will need a jubilee clip for one end as i borrowed it for something else.

The other is 47 inches overall. One union is in line, the other is 45 degrees. It is an older but serviceable pipe with crimped on unions.

Shout if they are any use and i can get them in the post.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hello Richard
You don’t mention what year your car is but on the assumption it is a chrome bumper car, the BL Microfishe shows 2 different lengths for the short cooler to filter pipe. Part No’s AHH8536 and BHH1569. (No lengths given) The length depending on what oil filter housing you have fitted to your car. The long pipe is the same for all chrome bumper cars Part No AHH8537. It may be worth mentioning to your supplier which type of filter you have fitted to enable them to supply the correct pipe. If you have the inverted spin off type I can measure my pipes (original) if it helps.
Mike Barclay
DickBrowne

Post by DickBrowne »

Hi all

Thank you for the replies. I have a confession to make - today, I went to the Dark Side, and visited the MG Owners Club shop where a very nice man helped me out.

Turns out that in 1967, the oil lines needed changed. Guess what year my set is? Yup, 1967!

So that appeared to be the problem, there are two different lengths available for 1967 and I have the wrong ones. I also have a set of the right ones now. And some new sun visors… it’s a temptation minefield there, let me tell you!

Hopefully I’ll be able to get the new lines on at some point in the next few days.

Thanks again

Richard