Have changes increased or decreased value?

General MGB discussion
Trouble Monkey
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Bennett

Have changes increased or decreased value?

Post by Trouble Monkey »

Hello,

Long story short - I’m no longer able to use the area I’ve stored my MG over the years so sadly got to sell her. It’s been more an engineering project than a daily driver (I drive it most weekends though) and other than the re-bore I’ve done all the work myself, so I’ve no idea what it’s worth. The question is though, will all these changes (assuming they’ve been done to an acceptable standard) have increased the value of the car or decreased it?!

I’ve done a ton of work myself - lowered springs, parabolics, replaced sills (all welding), cam & carb, head work, exhaust, electrics - relays etc etc

Perhaps I should get it MoT’d - been exempt for a couple of years now.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Have changes increased or decreased value?

Post by Ian F »

In my opinion, value depends entirely on condition and originality. A good condition B in original condition will always sell, some "upgrades" may have appeal, but as these cars get older originality becomes more important. Just my opinion of course.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

I think you may have increased the value of the car, but decreased the market for it. You don't have to spend long looking through adverts to find heavily modified MGBs that are eligible for international racing or rallying with a price tag of £35,000-£40,000, but they are for sale for some time as the market is very small. The price reflects the history of the car as well as the money invested in it. You will also find early cars that have not been modified or restored that are snapped up quickly by an eager market for them and they are willing to pay a premium price. Equally you will also find £3000 MGBs that are complete and running but look a scruffy.
As you are thinking of selling your car, I would suggest you consider the auction route which offers a clean sale without comeback. You will rarely meet the new owner, the price it will fetch is the 'market price on that day. If you have time, study the prices obtained by the various auction houses and you will see some that seem to obtain prices that are low, which are good places if you want to buy a car. Others reach higher prices, so they are good if you want to sell a car. Remember you have to factor in the cost of entering the car in the auction and the sellers fees all of which are subject to VAT. There are online auctions (not the well known one!) as well a physical auctions.
To determine the value you can use the Hagerty Valuation tool - see here https://www.hagerty.co.uk/valuation/ but you have to be very honest with yourself about the condition!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Trouble Monkey

Post by Trouble Monkey »

Ahh I hadn’t considered the auction route, that’s really interesting. Thanks.
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Would it be at all feasible to instead sell your daily car and keep your MGB instead ?

Once it's gone it's gone.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Trouble Monkey

Post by Trouble Monkey »

Unfortunately not. As much as I’d love to use it as a daily driver my main car is a company car. I’m a site engineer so have to drive around all over the place.
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

I haven't tried to sell anything here, but Car and Classic online auction seems to get good results. See here: https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.