Bird Poo

General MGB discussion
MGB72
Forename: Iain
Surname: Richards
MGCC Member: Yes

Bird Poo

Post by MGB72 »

I was slow in removing a bird poo splat off the bonnet. I now have a lovely little outline. Any thoughts on removing it please
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Bird Poo

Post by Ian F »

Iain, depends very much on how deeply etched the paint surface is, and to a degree, what paint system has been used on the MG.
Starlings seem to be the worst culprits here, what they leave behind seems quite corrosive.

If shallow, then good old fashioned T Cut will work well on cellulose paint and most others.
Farecla make some good products - get advice from your local Motor Factor as to which one might be best. I recall Farecla G3 was good.

If you have a basecoat and lacquer finish then you may remove the lacquer which gives the shiny finish and this is a bit more of a problem to rectify.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Statler
Forename: Stephen
Surname: McClune

Re: Bird Poo

Post by Statler »

If you have a lacquered finish then heat is your best friend.
Don't go hitting it mechancally with cutting compounds and polishes, 10 mins with a hairdryer or a heat gun (carefully) will re-flow the surface. Rub it gently with a microfibre between heat cycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs7F0QJ1AoA

If you're nervous about doing this, Autoglym sell a re-flow product specifically for doing it.

The science is that the bird poo heats the paint and leaves it's 'etch' in the lacquer due to the shape of the bird poo.
Heating it again gently causes the lacquer to return to it's natural smooth state.
Last edited by Statler on Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.