General MGB discussion
Remyd
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Factory record copy Personal Export Delivery

Post by Remyd »

Got my certificate today, interestingly the engine number is completely different from the one in the MG. I also found out that it was a P.E.D.
I understand that was a scheme with which tourist or foreign military personnel could buy and MG and pick it up straight from the factory to avoid taxation
Would anyone know if it is possible to find out who was the first owner with this?
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Re: Factory record copy Personal Export Delivery

Post by Tom Brearley »

Mine was PED to Bavaria originally. There's some info in the BL Passport to Service which came with the car.
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
Remyd

Post by Remyd »

I don't think mine left england, it was first registered in Birmingham. I might write to the DVLA to see if I can find out who the previous owners where.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Randy Forbes
Forename: Randy
Surname: Forbes

Post by Randy Forbes »

Tom Brearley wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:25 pm Mine was PED to Bavaria originally. There's some info in the BL Passport to Service which came with the car.
I think my '67 MGB GT traveled a similar route; BMIHT certificate declares Personal Export Delivery, USA. I do have a German logbook that (more or less proves...) it remained in Germany into 1988. The last (USAF) base parking sticker was issued in July 1995, so a good 27+ years in service (I feel it was left to rot thereafter).

I acquired it last August (2020) in very rusty, but VERY COMPLETE & ORIGINAL condition. My intention is to return it faithfully to its showroom condition__refraining from any performance/comfort modifications (as I've done with every other MGB I've ever had).

I've been collecting some of the harder to find parts, but I am wondering how I could possibly renovate this (the German VIN plate)...
jw-05.jpg
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Post by Tom Brearley »

Nice to have that degree of background on your car. I've just restored mine to factory spec so I approve of your direction of travel.

A rub with a maroon Scotchbrite pad and a little WD40 often removes a surprising amount of rust. But rust remover gel might also work well?

Tom
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Remyd wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 am I don't think mine left england, it was first registered in Birmingham. I might write to the DVLA to see if I can find out who the previous owners where.
Remy - Since the introduction of GPRS, the DVLA won't provide the information about previous owners.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Remyd

Post by Remyd »

Oh well, never mind. Interesting information anyway!
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
B Faiers
Forename: Barry
Surname: Faiers

Post by B Faiers »

For anyone going for 'exact originality' any personal export car that was used on UK roads prior to export would have had a yellow border around the number plate to show tht purchase tax had not been paid. I believe this border was changed to red when the white and yellow number plates were intorduced (?1967). The registration numbers were issued from a separate sequence reserved for cars that had to be exported within 6 months.

Our 1964 MGB was a personal export model, right hand drive with a 3 bearing low compression engine, with overdrive, heater and headlamp flasher as extras. I have the original log book which shows the original owner as a Mr Maramenides in South West London. Our registration AGX...B is from a London sequence. I have seen another MG with an AGX ...B registration but was not able to talk to the owner.

My (unproven) theory is that the first owner was from Cyprus (they drive on the left) who decided not to take the car to Cyprus when the troubles flared up. I have no record of the sale to the next owner apart from the name in the log book so I have no proof if the purchse tax was ever paid. So far in our 43 years of ownership HMRC not approached me for any cash! If you know of a Mr Maramenides I would dearly like out find out the full story.

Sadly we need to sell the car as we have run out of garage space. So if you know anyone..................
1958 MGA Coupe
1926 MG 14/28 Bullnose
2023 MG HS Exclusive
2003 MG ZS180
Remyd

Post by Remyd »

Thanks for explaining a bit more about it!
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Mnripley
Forename: Michael
Surname: Nunn

Post by Mnripley »

Barry
My 1978 roadster standard RHD car with overdrive was supplied to University Motors for export. I was able to get the full ownership details from HMRC before they closed the information source and the car was purchased by a trainee Lawyer in London. Have contacted the original owner and he does not want to discuss the car with me. As far as I can ascertain the car never left the UK.

If an employee of the ministry or overeas forces they were allowed to purchase RHD cars without purchase tax and I believe if it was kept out of the UK for a period of time then no puchase tax would be paid on reimportation.