Technical MGB discussion
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Inexistent horn bullet terminal

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Remy,
I thought by 1970 the horn was operated by pushing the end of the indicator stalk. This seems to be confirmed by Clausager that from September 1969 a new column stalk was introduced that operated the indicators, headlight main beam and flash and the horn. The change was from car number 187170 for roadsters or 187841 for GTs. The new stalk has a square end with a chrome button. It is shorter than the previous one and looks like the one in your picture. Pretty much the whole of the BMC range were fitted by a version of this switch at the same time.
Are you looking in the right place to operate the horn?
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Hi Peter. For interest: my 72 BGT (which I have owned since 1978) has a horn push in the centre of the steering wheel and a contact "pencil" as illustrated in this thread. Can be a bit troublesome if the semi-collapsible steering column moves in and out like mine used to!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Peter Cresswell

...and my 1969 Roadster has the earlier steering column and the horn button on the stalk! This might show that the stalk can be easily swapped for a later one.
I have looked up the parts in the Moss catalogue and they give the change point for the stalk as Clausager
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Peter. I've always been pretty certain my BGT was as it left the factory (1972) when I got it in 1978. It really had just been driven and serviced. Certainly the sills needed replacement in 1978 as I discovered after I bought it and tried jacking it up!

Ian F
MGCC member
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Peter,

see Clausager - top of page 146 - "1971 model year Changes to all cars. horn push returned to steering wheel centre"

Ian F
MGCC member
Remyd
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Remyd »

Here's a picture of the inside of the horn button in the centre of the horn.
Attachments
20210331_180031.jpg
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

OK Remy. That is an aftermarket wheel and is the same as is shown on Paul Hunt's web page. I have taken the liberty of copying his useful picture.
hp10.jpg
The wire that you see going through the hole should be soldered to the ring behind the wheel. If you take off the shrouds round the column you will see a view similar to Paul's picture. Rubbing on the ring should be a brass contact which is connected to the wire from the horns. When you push the horn button you earth the supply and the horns sound.

The other problem that sometimes happens is that the column needs to be earthed. This can be easily checked with a multimeter.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Remyd
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Remyd »

Bumpa wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:14 pm OK Remy. That is an aftermarket wheel and is the same as is shown on Paul Hunt's web page. I have taken the liberty of copying his useful picture.
hp10.jpg
The wire that you see going through the hole should be soldered to the ring behind the wheel. If you take off the shrouds round the column you will see a view similar to Paul's picture. Rubbing on the ring should be a brass contact which is connected to the wire from the horns. When you push the horn button you earth the supply and the horns sound.

The other problem that sometimes happens is that the column needs to be earthed. This can be easily checked with a multimeter.
Thanks, I'll have a more in depth look when I have a little time between work.
Last edited by Remyd on Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Peter Cresswell

Ian Fozzard wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:13 pm Peter,

see Clausager - top of page 146 - "1971 model year Changes to all cars. horn push returned to steering wheel centre"

Ian F
Hi Ian,
Thanks for pointing that out. I assumed that the Sept 1969 (1970 model year) was the point of the change and I didn't read any further on.
Cheers
Pete
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Easily missed Peter! The steering column/horn combinations do not seem to be particularly well documented, and who would have expected MG to have reverted back to a previous configuration so quickly?
Have a good Easter!
Ian F
MGCC member