Oil cooler

Technical MGB discussion
Ray Masters
Forename: Ray
Surname: Masters
MGCC Member: Yes

Oil cooler

Post by Ray Masters »

Is the oil cooler as fitted to a standard road going MGB really necessary ? . If it isn’t is there a pipe available for the connection of engine block to oil filter housing ?
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: Oil cooler

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Ray,
This has long been debated, as the early 3 bearing engine cars didn't have an oil cooler fitted as standard other than cars destined for hot climates, but it was available as a factory fit optional extra. From the introduction of the 5 bearing engine it was fitted as standard, but later for the rubber bumper cars for North America when the anti-pollution air pump and a single carb were fitted, it was deleted. Also the MGA didn't have an oil cooler fitted as standard, despite the rather restricted air flow into the engine bay. I have read somewhere (but I don't know where at the moment!) that the oil cooler was fitted as standard to UK and European market MGBrs to enable themto compete in races and rallies in the production car classes with an oil cooler fitted.
Also improvements in oil technology has made the oil cooler less important even when the car is driven hard. The need was to keep the oil cool enough to stay in grade. When the MGB was introduced the best oils were all straight grades - Castrolite 20w, Castrol XL 30w and Castrol XXL 40w for example - which started to break down with high temperatures, but you can now get classic 20-50w synthetic oils which will stay in grade at temperatures up to 250 deg C. Miller's Classic Sport High performance 20 - 50w for example. This type of oil is expensive but so is rebuilding an MGB engine these days!
As far as the pipe goes, you could try to get an MGA or early MGB one at a show once they start to open up again this summer, or try someone like Andy Jennings (01489 790611 or mg@andyjennings.co.uk ) who has a large stock of used parts. An alternative is to fit a flexible pipe between the block and the filter head, and you try the main suppliers for one - Moss, B&G, Rimmer, MGBhive etc, or Stevsons in Selly Oak, Birmingham can make them up for you - see https://www.stevsonmotors.co.uk/service ... and-hoses/
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Ray Masters

Post by Ray Masters »

Hi Pete . Many thanks for your , as usual , comprehensive reply. If l decide to dispense with the cooler l will follow up the leads you have listed for a replacement pipe . I tend to use a good Miller’s oil anyway .
Change of subject , just wondered if you remember me from the days of MG Silverstone in the 60s and 70s ? . I was racing the single seater fitted with a Q type engine in the Triple M races alongwith the likes of Syd Beer , Mike Allison etc . You were in T type races with Harry Whitehouse , Glyn Guisti etc . Great days . Now I’ve just got the BGT which l’ve had for about 14 years .
Sold my last P type 2 years ago . Cheers ,Ray.
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

I have always thought the MGB oil cooler was not essential. The MG RV8, basically an MGB with a 3.9 litre V8, doesn't have one. I have a 3.9 in my BGT and the amount of heat produced by these engines is huge but they seem fine without a cooler. Strangely the Midget never had a cooler but actually needs one. I have owned three Midgets and all showed a drop in oil pressure when hot, cured by fitting an oil cooler.

Regarding a metal link pipe to replace the hoses, the B series engine was used in many different vehicles like the BMC 1800, Morris Marina, Leyland vans, Cambridge/Oxford and Princess models to name but a few. None of them had a cooler so will all have a link pipe. You must be able to source one I would have thought.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Ray Masters

Post by Ray Masters »

Mike , Many thanks for your reply . I have sourced a link pipe , block to oil filter , from Moss so when it is delivered l will remove the long pipes and oil cooler , keeping my eye on the oil pressure for a while to be sure . Cheers
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Ray Masters wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:13 pm Hi Pete . Many thanks for your , as usual , comprehensive reply. If l decide to dispense with the cooler l will follow up the leads you have listed for a replacement pipe . I tend to use a good Miller’s oil anyway .
Change of subject , just wondered if you remember me from the days of MG Silverstone in the 60s and 70s ? . I was racing the single seater fitted with a Q type engine in the Triple M races alongwith the likes of Syd Beer , Mike Allison etc . You were in T type races with Harry Whitehouse , Glyn Guisti etc . Great days . Now I’ve just got the BGT which l’ve had for about 14 years .
Sold my last P type 2 years ago . Cheers ,Ray.
Hi Ray. I certainly do remember you from Silverstone and I think you went to Curborough for the MG CC Midland Centre sprints some times. I am still in touch with some of the T-Racers - Nick Taylor in particular but I have seen Gerry Brown a few years ago (he wasn't well with cancer in the spine), Paddy Willmer who voted my MGB as car of the event in a Midland Centre Welsh Rallye, Eric Benson who we stayed with when we went to France in the MGB a few years back. I haven't seen Glyn for some time and his TB racer is now a QT (I think it was crashed by a subsequent owner and so converted). My TC is still around and racing. I last saw it at Mallory Park in 2016 where it came second to an MGA Twin Cam in a Ecurie Equip race. Hopefully in a few months time we can get out and about again for show and race meeting.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965