Front suspension and brake rebuild

Technical MGB discussion
David Witham
Forename: David
Surname: Witham
MGCC Member: Yes

Front suspension and brake rebuild

Post by David Witham »

I have taken the front cross member off my B and stripped down the brakes and suspension.

The last time I had the callipers apart is over 20 years ago. I had forgotten you should remove the pads and pump the brakes while the callipers are still fitted so as to bring the pistons out. Interestingly, I had uneven bad wear on both callipers and when I tried using compressed air to push the pistons out only one piston came out of each.

For Christmas 2019 I was given some new standard, brembo, front discs and I have since bought a seal kit and some standard pads to replace the uprated Mintex ones I fitted when sprinting. So now it is time to fit the parts that have been on the shelf for a while.

Would you use the special red rubber brake grease between the seals and pistons when assembling the callipers?
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Re: Front suspension and brake rebuild

Post by Ian F »

Hi David. I use the red rubber brake grease when assembling brake parts - safe to use where "rubber" is present. It can make parts a bit "sticky" and some folk just use brake fluid as a lubricant.
I really don't like getting brake fluid on my hands though - I understand it is absorbed through the skin and is quite toxic.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Mnripley
Forename: Michael
Surname: Nunn
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Front suspension and brake rebuild

Post by Mnripley »

Totally agree with Ian always use red rubber grease and dont like the fluid on your skin.