General MGB discussion
ERO1972
Forename: Rich
Surname: Osterhout

Post by ERO1972 »

Just joined your site, I have a 1972 MGB , original owner. I am in the process of a complete restoration. Motor is rebuilt, ( not in the car as of yet) body was acid dipped, repaired and is now ready for finished paint. I want to set the engine back in the car( hopefully this winter) before having it painted .Front and rear suspension is finished, and I am sure I will have a lot of questions trying to put her back together. Rich
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: New Member

Post by George Wilder »

Welcome to the MGB Forum.

There can't be many cars still around still with their original owner after 48 years let alone one being restored by the owner - well done.

It helps if we know what part of the country you are in - maybe local assistance available if required.

Please fire away with the questions.

If thebody has been stripped and repaired I would have thought it is better to get it painted before installing the engine and gearbox. There is no way the engine bay can be painted with engine in.

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

It's good to hear from you. You will find this forum an excellent place to pick up ideas and information. What part of the country are you in ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

Welcome to the forum Rich,
Much easier to get the body painted before the engine & gearbox put back in.
3 years ago, ,I repainted the engine block & engine bay without removing the engine ( although removed everything apart from the clutch ,brake master cylinder & piping). Got a reasonable result, but took ages to mask off the block ,never mind extracting the heater box & putting it back.....etc. etc.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
ERO1972
Forename: Rich
Surname: Osterhout

Post by ERO1972 »

Thank you all for a cheerful welcome. My engine bay, inside cockpit, inside trunk(boot) underside of front fenders(wings) have all been primed and painted (Bronze Yellow) (original color) and doors have been cut in with single stage paint. In 1972 I traveled to England ( and Europe) kind of in the "hippie era" for 10 weeks and fell in love with the British MGB's, Purchase a U.S car and she was shipped home. Drove it (50,200 miles) had 2 children( 1980's) and parked it . End of story, been working on it now and hope I can stay(71) limber enough to drive her again someday. I am in the U.S , Toledo, Ohio Regards, Rich