Engine mud shield / radiator cowl ?

Technical MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Engine mud shield / radiator cowl ?

Post by Not_Anumber »

The engine mud shield on mine ended up being binned by my pal when working on the front end a couple of years ago. It went complete with it's brackets and fixings so Im not clear on what i need to buy to replace it or fit it with

Could this be a good opportunity to fit a stainless steel aftermarket one which looks rather good or does everyone go for a straight replacement waxed cardboard one from the MGB Hive or an ABS plastic equivalent from Moss ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Engine mud shield / radiator cowl ?

Post by Ian F »

I don't recall ever seeing one of these, certainly never had anything similar on my '72.
I am guessing these are aftermarket "improvements"?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Mnripley
Forename: Michael
Surname: Nunn
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Mnripley »

Does the mud shield also effect under bonnet cooling mine is also missing, have thought about fitting the stainless unit?
Trouble Monkey
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Bennett

Post by Trouble Monkey »

I believe it helps direct air flow through the radiator - rather than round the bottom of it. Certainly cant hurt to have one. Also, the chrome ones look good!
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

There is a mud shield that is tailored to the later rubber bumper cars where the radiator is brought forward .The original was a stiff board mounted to the chassis rails with special brackets. There is a board type sold by MGOC, a smart black plastic / laminate (?) one by Moss ( which never seems to be available ) & a stainless steel one by various suppliers if you look on ebay. The fitting kit is separate.I was disappointed with ghe qualityof the board type supplied by MGOC including the cutting of the board shape as supplied so refurbished the original.
Cheers , Charles
Attachments
20180329_213742.jpg
1980 Roadster
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Charles. Not something I've seen before. Do you think it serves a critical function (air flow, keeping things clean?) or did you fit it to maintain originality?
Ian F
MGCC member
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks.

I do wonder if the mud shield/ undertray was introduced on the late RB cars to restore directed airflow to the rad otherwise lost when the radiator was moved and the sealing strip above it removed.

The brackets and fixings on mine aren't in a good way so I spoke to the chap who makes the stainless steel mud shields and agreed £ 75 delivered for a stainless mud shield and a pair of stainless brackets with the fixing studs and nuts. I'l report back when it arrives.

Chris
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Chris. Let us know if it seems to make any difference!

Ian F
MGCC member
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Ian,
I don't think it's critical for air flow for the later RB cars with forward radiators, whereas i know with earlier MGBs where the radiator is situated further back and very close to the engine that shrouds, either original or after market assist in cooling.
The mud shield certainly helps to keep the front of the engine & engine bay clean & reduce the amount of water / spray / mud in bad weather that would inevitably potentially soak the electrics under the bonnet. (I well remember my first car (an old Morris 1100) conking out after driving through torrential rain when it drenched the distributor just behind the front grill - different location i know with regards to the MGB - but the principle still applies)!
Chris, I would suggest you loosely fit the shield before putting in all the plumbing etc. as i found it not that easy to fit a pliable original board back in without catching either the back of the rad / front of the engine etc. (all of which had been freshly painted) so it might be somewhat more difficult with a stainless steel version.
Cheers
Charles
1980 Roadster
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Ah! Austin 1100s and wet weather☹️ !

My better half had one in the early '70's. We sprayed the exposed distributor with all sorts of stuff, and eventually wrapped it in a plastic bag!!

Ian F
MGCC member