Sprinting a BGT in the 1980's

Requirements and preparation - no event reports please!
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Sprinting a BGT in the 1980's

Post by Ian F »

Since we have a dearth of entries here, I thought I would add this.

In the 1980's speed events in the UK were very easy to compete in. For these events ( hill climbs and sprints) very little mods were required - some yellow tape on the battery negative terminal, ignition "off" position clearly marked, and all loose stuff removed from the vehicle. For the driver it was a helmet and arms etc. covered.
No training requirements, but an RAC Speed licence necessary.

I mainly used a prepared TR2, but occasionally my 72 BGT. It wasn't exactly suited, being a bit on the heavy side, but the handling was good - a bit more predictable than the TR!

Happy days!! A bit more complicated and expensive now I think!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: Sprinting a BGT in the 1980's

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Ian,
Thanks for posting on here. Yes the good old days when things were more relaxed - but less safety conscious! your posting leads nicely into a bit about personal safety equipment for drivers in Speed Events - Sprints and Hillclimbs.
You will be pleased to know that from the beginning of this year the requirements for drivers of standard and modified cars that are driven on the road have been relaxed considerably.
For drivers of a Standard Car as defined by Motorsport UK, of up to 2000cc and made after 1st January 2000 you only need a crash helmet that meets the motorsport standard. All other safety wear is only recommended. Unfortunately the year part of the rule excludes all MGBs but the next rule change would probably encompass them.
For drivers of modified cars that are driven on the road - they must be insured, taxed, and MOT'd - the driver also needs a race suit, but this can be a single layer Proban (to BS6249 part 1 Index A or B (but not part C) ) and a pair of fireproof gloves.
In both cases you need to apply for an 'RS Interclub' competition licence.
You have to be careful of a couple of things (at least!). Firstly some championships allow minor modifications and still allow the car to compete in a Standard Car class, and secondly it might be wise to consider a road roll hoop at least if competing in an MGB Roadster. However this has slashed the cost of setting to compete in a road going MGB quite considerably.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Re: Sprinting a BGT in the 1980's

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Peter, Interesting. I did in fact have single roll bar in my 1954 TR2 - an Aley Bar if I remember. For the BGT I was reassured (perhaps unwisely!) by the roof above my head!!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear