Pre Production Prototype MGB GT

General MGB discussion
Adrian Oliver
Forename: Adrian
Surname: Oliver
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Pre Production Prototype MGB GT

Post by Adrian Oliver »

Sorry Ian for going off topic with that picture, but I'm just testing uploading photos...

Taken at Goodwood Revival last September, nice and warm that day!
1962 Chelsea Grey MGB
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John Watson »

I have recently spoken with Don Hayter regarding this car, Don has no information of any pre-production BGT's
John
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Chris.Wilkins

Post by Chris.Wilkins »

WJB 910D is on the MGB Register, entry number 3564, so entered quite a few years ago by a prevoius owner. If I could have the contact details of the current owner I will update the Register. Not many details excpt it says original engine number was 18GBUH101
Chris
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Being in Kimber House yesterday I took opportunity to discuss with Peter Neal the car recently identified on the forum as pre-prodcution MG MGB GT.

As far as Peter knows there is no file or ledger on pre-production BGTs. However Gaydon have vast amounts of stuff that just has not been looked at yet.
The major task of productionising the Pinafarina prototype was very much a Pressed Steel operation. After all Pressed Steel not only made the bodies but had to paint and trim them before they came to Abingdon. The car in question would certainly have been finally assembled on the line at Abingdon as the differences in Abingdon input between roadster and GT were minimal. He did point out that Don Hayter had input into the rear windows and their hinge design and other Abingdon staff would have had input into the trim design.
The only way to find out now how many pre-production cars were made is to go through the production records one by one at Gaydon. It could be that there are Pressed Steel files which may lay uopened at Gaydon too.
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Ian Jones
Forename: Ian
Surname: Jones

Post by Ian Jones »

Hi George, just to let you know that we discovered that the car was a pre production development prototype via the BMIHT in March 1987. We have a certificate signed by Anders Ditlev Clausager giving several pieces of information, one interesting piece being that the original engine no., 101, was from 1964 and was the first 5 bearing engine. The present engine was originally issued in May 1966 to another development MGB GT car (GHD 3/93053).

There obviously must be some information stored somewhere for Mr Clausager to have told us this. Another statement from him was that the car might be the oldest known British built MGB GT in existence.

I would you appreciate any other information you or anyone else may come across.

Best regards

Ian
George Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Ian
In asking Peter (ex Abingdon Apprentice who was there until 1980) I was hoping to find a source of further information on yours and any other pre-production MGB GTs. Unfortunately Peter, who was there throughout MGB build, has no possible sources other than Gaydon.
Anders Clausager left BMIHT Gaydon about 10 years ago to work for Jaguar in a similar post but has now retired. He did come to MGB 50 as one of the guests.
No one knows the full extent of the documentation held by BMIHT at Gaydon.
At Pressed Steel Cowley where the bodies were built, painted and trimmed, the old Pressed Steel Plant is now the MINI plant. I know from doing RV8 research that BMW threw all the old records/drawings/material out when converting the plant for MINI production.

It would be great especially this year, to find out just how many pre-production cars were made and what test/trials/useage was made of each one - perhaps we will never know.

My own MGB BMIHT Certificate was also signed by Anders and is dated 1st June 1987 and cost me £3.00!
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Jim Haines
Forename: James
Surname: Haines

Post by Jim Haines »

Don Hayter has to be the best person to approach about your car, but a while ago my own MGB featured in a well-known club magazine article. This article was supported by a piece of research which I understand was done by a man named Anders Clausager who, I believe, was a historian associated with Gaydon motor museum at the time.
I was actually impressed with the information Anders had available to him - his was one of the most accurate summations I had seen regarding my car (an automatic MGB Roadster) over the 22 years I have owned it.
I wonder - is he still around, as he could be somebody who might have some information about your car?
1971 MGB Roadster Automatic
George Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Jim
See my previous post - Anders left BMIHT about 10 years ago to work for Jaguar and has now retired. The information he used for your car all belongs to BMIHT not him personally. So BMIHT at Gaydon is the place for Ian to contact/visit becuase that is where the information, if there is any, will be.
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam