Technical MGB discussion
David Askew
Forename: David
Surname: Askew
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Replacement Distributor

Post by David Askew »

Hi John,
Many thanks for the information, sorry for the delay in replying - have got man flu at the moment. I had hoped a new dizzy would be under the Christmas tree, but grand daughter told me that I had been a bit naughty and used some rude words when I was fixing my MGB so no new dizzy! I will be contacting the distributor doctor in the new year to see what he can do for me. I do have a rather worn out dizzy that I could send to him for renovating and still have use of my B.
Happy New Year
David.
David Askew
1972 MGBGT
2001 MGF VVC
Dave Linkson
Forename: Dave
Surname: Linkson

Post by Dave Linkson »

Yes John, I 2nd that, have it rebuilt by distributor doctor, its not cheap, I had a quote, but can't remember exactly how much, but they come highly recommended. Seems that to get quality, you'd need to pay out a bit more, as with anything these days...
BTW David, are you sure you need a replacement, and it's not just the garage saying its worn when it isn't? Is there excessive play in the distributor shaft, take the rotorcap off and try to waggle the shaft from side to side..
David Askew

Post by David Askew »

Hi Dave,
My distributor is definitely in need of replacement, on return from Cornwall I checked it out and found quite a lot of play in the shaft, to my knowledge it is the original 1972 dizzy!! I have been in touch with the Distributor Doctor and others and find the prices are very similar for the Dizzy Doc and Aldon products. Accuspark are not too far behind if you go for the complete electronic replacement distributor. Once I have narrowed the choice down and reviewed the specifications and guarantees I will go ahead, and report back to the Forum on the improvement/difference.
Kind regards
David
David Askew
1972 MGBGT
2001 MGF VVC
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John Watson »

I would say that Aldon Automotive have been good supporters of the MGB Register and offer an excellent friendly family service.
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
David Askew

Post by David Askew »

Hi John,
Yes I've e-mailed them for some more details.
Happy New Year
David
David Askew
1972 MGBGT
2001 MGF VVC