MGB Steering Column 1962 - 1969

General MGB discussion
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes

MGB Steering Column 1962 - 1969

Post by George Wilder »

A project is being undertaken by a MGCC member and the engineer who worked as the RV8 Chassis engineer on two topics.

One is the correct installation of the rack and column and the other on establishing a safe repair method for enrgy absorbing (generally called collapsable) columns.

The project is taking place in the MIdlands with some funding from the Douglas Mickel Fund of the MGCC. To date the project has been able to borrow or acquire all types of sterring column except for a MK1 column.

Is there anyone in the Midlands who would be prepared to lend such a column for a few weeks - it will not be harmed in any way?

PLease contact me through this forum

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Re: MGB Steering Column 1962 - 1969

Post by Ian F »

George, I am assuming that the project knows of the work by Gerry McMaster in the USA? Gerry has been repairing these columns for quite a while and his repairs are top quality.
Just wouldn't want MGCC funds spent reinventing the wheel!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Ian
They are well aware of the USA attemps to solve the problem of energy absorbing column repair.

The project is looking at establishing a safe process to repair these columns to least least OE spec that a supplier can reproduce.

The money involved is quite small, the ex Rover Chassis engineer is freely giving his time and expertise.

George

PS Still looking for 62 to 67 column to borrow
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks George.. I repaired the semi collapsible column on my 72 BGT using Gerry's method ( hot glue gun). Looking at the original fastening when I dismantled the column I have no doubt that the repair is as good as original. In any case the column would not fail in an unsafe manner - the failure is evidenced by an "in - out"
motion on the shaft. This is usually caused by over enthusiastic methods of steering wheel removal!!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear