satnav

Technical MGB discussion
alan riley
Forename: Alan
Surname: Riley
MGCC Member: Yes

satnav

Post by alan riley »

I would like to install a cigarette lighter in my mk1 MGB to use a Garmin satnav in the car. I am thinking of disconnecting the radio (which no longer works but has a line fused supply). Does any body have any thoughts on this? Does anybody know where I can buy a suitable cigarette lighter with a mounting bracket?
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Re: satnav

Post by Ian F »

Alan,
Holden Automotive have some of these, and suitable brackets. Not the cheapest, but they do cater specifically for classic cars.
A satnav probably does not take much current so maybe your radio connection would be fine. Instructions probably come with the lighter.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Alan
The fused line for the radio be work fine for a sat nav connection as it comes directly from the main fuse box.(Should be a brown wire) As your want to use it for a Satnav, it might be worth considering fitting a USB charger socket instead of the the standard cigarette lighter socket. They use the same size mounting hole (28mm) and could also be useful for charging your phone etc. Try carbuilder solutions.com as they might be a little kinder to your wallet. They have a charger socket for 14 pounds and suitable mounting panel for 3 pounds.
Hope this helps
Mike Barclay
alan riley
Forename: Alan
Surname: Riley

Post by alan riley »

Thanks Ian and Michael
Holden seem to be out of stock of the brackets but Moss are listing it as a vailable AHH7010bkt. I found an interesting socket on Amazon that is waterproof and has a flip down lid :
Cigarette Lighter Socket, Enisina Waterproof Marine Grade 12V/24V DC lighter socket plug Outlet for Boat Motorbike Car,With 0.6m Connection Cable
by Enisina
So I think that is what I shall go for.
Malcom & Julian
Forename: Malcolm
Surname: Sperring-Toy

Post by Malcom & Julian »

The USB powering point would be useful. For satnav, I use ‘WAZE’ which is an excellent App I downloaded onto my iPhone.
It is a real-time system so helps you avoid jams by rerouting you.
MGB Mk1 1967