Build Dates and serial numbers

Technical MGB discussion
Graham Dix
Forename: Graham
Surname: Dix

Build Dates and serial numbers

Post by Graham Dix »

Below is a question that came to me via the MGB Technical line. I thought it may be of interest to others...

We have an MGB Open Tourer chassis, number GHN313614** – being an Irish registered example I can deduce from the internet that – “G” = MG. “H” = B Series. “N” = 2 seated roadster. “3” = MK1 1962 – 1967. That leaves “13614**” (according to the Irish DVLA people) as the car has no chassis plate. Looking at the car it is an original chrome bumper example, with push button door handles so I can tell it’s not pre 1965, and the “3” leads me to believe it is a MK1 “1962 – 1967” combined with the schedule of car numbers and the fact this isn’t a chrome bumper it should be pre 1974 the “614**” therefore takes it to 1965. If I try to find it as “3614**” it takes it into the 1974 first of the rubber bumper models, which it clearly isn’t. do you have any other pointers I can to at to establish the build date please.

Kindest Regards

K

Hi K,

If you pass the engine number you have to The Heritage Museum they will be able to tell you build date, trim, accessories etc., delivery address as it left the factory……

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/ ... -services/

They hold all the BMC build records. There is a fee for that info

Regards

Graham
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Build Dates and serial numbers

Post by George Wilder »

According to Clausager ( I wonder how many times I have written that phrase) the GNH3 cars were numbered GHN3 101 through to 138360. The change to push button door locks came at body number 57986. The body numbers are usually a hundred or so in front of the car number (chassis number). The body number recorded in the works files is to be found on a small metal plate spot welded to the inner wing on the drivers side (of a RHD car) quite high up opposite the dynamo and often hidden by the wiring harness. The recorded number is NOT the number found on a small aluminium plate screwed on the nearside inner wing pre-fixed MGB.

The only identification plates are the car number plate - inner wing in front of the radiator on the drivers side and the body number.

A car number GHN3 13614 suggests the owner has the car number plate but maybe only paperwork. As the car has push button door handles and it is just too much work to convert a pull handle to push button it suggests the following:-
A digit has been lost from reading the car plate could be 13614X where X is unknown
If not it could be
An early car rebuilt early in its life around a new shell
An early car rebuilt onto a Heritage shell
A later car which has assumed the identification of an earlier car for various reasons

It is possible to search the Gaydon records by body number if found to reverse the process to find the car Number - something the owner would have to undertake.
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
George Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Graham
BMIHT will only provide the service on Car (chassis) numbers. Any other numbers you have to search yourself.

Oh in my previous post I didn't mention the Irish CKD cars - quite deliberately as the car (chassis) numbers are in batches issued from Abingdon from the main sequence. The CKD kits were put together at Cowley.

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Graham Dix
Forename: Graham
Surname: Dix

Post by Graham Dix »

Hi George, Attendance at the Archives office, Gaydon (I think you need an appointment) gives you access to the actual books listing the build details. The archivist is very helpful in explaining the various codes on the page denoting colours etc.The columns in the book, reading from left to right detail:
1. Chassis No.
2. Engine No.
3. Body No.
4. Gearbox No.
5. Rear Axle no.
6. Ignition Key No.
7. Boot/door Key No.
8. Chassis commission date
9. Off body line date
10. Test date
11. Off rectification date
12. Date advised
13. Date dispatched
14. Program No.?
15. Account invoice date
16. Invoice no.
17. Dispatched to info
In the final sections to the right of the page it provides details of body colour, trim colour, hood colour, for home market or export, speedometer calibration - MPH/KPH, Heater fitted or not, Type of wheels, Fold away or pack away hood, Colour of tonneau, whether antiroll bar fitted.

I am not sure if all this information appears in an 'on line' request or is contained in a Heritage 'Certificate ' but it is certainly available. Info on later models may vary in detail, eg. Gearbox numbers were not recorded on mk2 models.

Regards

Graham
George Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Graham
Thanks for the detailed reply - I got my certifcate back in 1987 - just £3.50 then!

The point I was making is that I understand that BMIHT will only search records based on Car (chassis) number - if you want a search on engine or other number you will pay extra or you can diy.

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam