MGB 12V Battery Box

Technical MGB discussion
Stuart Adams
Forename: Stuart
Surname: Adams
MGCC Member: Yes

MGB 12V Battery Box

Post by Stuart Adams »

Hi, on my '62 MGB Roadster, it has been converted to a single 12V battery, which sits in the original 'open' framework, but is of course potentially exposed to the elements. Have any members fitted one of the 'bucket' type boxes that Moss sells, or anything similar and if so do the boxes allow for the battery securing bracket and terminal access? I feel that if this is possible it would give peace of mind protection.
Many thanks
Stuart
Stuart Adams
1962 MGB Roadster
Rick Ingram
Forename: Rick
Surname: Ingram

Re: MGB 12V Battery Box

Post by Rick Ingram »

The battery box liners work fine. One needs to cut accesss holes in the liner for the cables.
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Stuart
Absolutely no need to put the battery in any form of box.

The position of the battery is in many ways ideal, it is always cool and not cooked like under bonnet batteries and it practice is not exposed to much debris or dirt. In 30 plus years of ownership and approaching 80K miles batteries have always (when in 2 x 6 volt form) lasted 6 to 8 years. My current 12 volt B36 battery - the same size as a single 6 volt - has been there 3 years with no problems. The type 63 battery often found as a tight fit in a 6 volt provision or lugs cut off is not ideal for this application.

The downside with the battery position is that it is not too easy to access but how often do you have to go there? I have rigged up a connector for my battery charger/conditioner when needed though the toe wall so that I can just plug it in - if needed! I also use this to gain an insulated 12 volt negative earth output to drive a GPS or phone charger.

Some buy the boxes to put in the other battery box for spares and tools. Too inaccessible for me along with the problem of keeping watertight. Apart from a spare fanbelt - not available everywhere these days - kept either strapped to the underside of the bonnet or boot I carry a small tool roll in the boot and tupperware plastic cake tin of suitable spares. Enough spanners etc to strip most of the car along with pliers screwdrivers etc. This is drilled centrally fitted under the spare (wirewheel) and held in place by the spare wheel clamp. If I can't mend it with this on the roadside its a recovery home.

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Stuart Adams
Forename: Stuart
Surname: Adams

Post by Stuart Adams »

Hi George, thanks for the feedback its much appreciated and you have put my mind at rest! I was just concerned that fairly open to the elements the 'weather' may affect the terminals etc.
Again, many thanks.
Stuart
Stuart Adams
1962 MGB Roadster
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

I have a single 12v conversion and the battery is in the box behind the drivers seat. I guess this is the natural place for it to go as the main power lead to the starter motor soleniod then will fit. However my plan is to move the battery into the box behind the passenger seat, which will mean fitting a new longer main power cable. Then I plan to fit the fuel pump into the box behind the drivers seat, probably using one of the plastic liners with a couple holes drilled in the base to act as a drain in case of a fuel leak.
It seems to me that the fuel pump is very exposed to the elements when fitted in the normal place, and suffers somewhat as a result particularly the electrical connections to it. This mod should make it more reliable.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Peter
Not had a SU fuel pump failure - touch wood -in 80K miles so I don't think the position, whilst not ideal, is to bad. Whilst the connections seem exposed its usually the enclosed points which give up causing failure.

Changed my points activated one for an all electronic one a few years back just because of age and the fact I was going to deepest France as a precaution.

Didn't MG put the fuel pump inside in the luggage area in late GTs?

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Whilst it has been many years since I've had the experience of an SU pump failing which was on an MGA, when they do so it is pretty inconvenient - like lane 3 on the M5 west of Birmingham! I was taught that electric and water don't mix - and this applies to cars as well! Also in modern traffic you won't get many thanks or sympathy for having any sort of failure in a classic car.
My last classic breakdown due to electrical failure is in the picture below. Friday afternoon at 5.30, M25 in Lane 3 of 5. I pushed the car to the hard shoulder, and you might be able to see the rally plate is for Minis to Monte so you can imagine the look on the face of the rescue driver when my reply to 'where do want to be taken to' was Monte Carlo please!
Attachments
Mini on M25.jpg
Mini on M25.jpg (200.44 KiB) Viewed 15133 times
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965