Inertia seat belts

Technical MGB discussion
David Ramsbotham
Forename: David
Surname: Ramsbotham

Inertia seat belts

Post by David Ramsbotham »

Evening everyone,
My 1975 Roadster is fitted with static belts, the type that are fixed through the rear body with visible chrome headed bolts.
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to fit inertia belts using these original pick up points and if so where I can source some?
Many thanks, David
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Inertia seat belts

Post by Paul Scott »

I have a 75B with Inertia Belts. But I had to mount them away from the origial location. Or you cannot use the hood.

I fitted 3 point belts - reel located on inside the rear wheel arch. Somw cars use a fixing point here but I had to drill and placed big nut fitted to galvanisd plate. Then attached second point to top of wheel arch using similar fixing. 3rd point inner sill using original fixing. Then 2 stalks in the centre.

I didnt have the original belts and the 2 point inertia were fitted to some flimzy wood brackets.

I sourced the belts from non mg supplier and it all feels tight & secure.

I can get you pics if no other ideas come forward.

Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
David Ramsbotham

Thanks Paul, was trying to avoid making new mounting points. When you say you can’t use hood, is it because it won’t open properly with the reel fitted under rear bodywork?
If that is the case then I’ll probably stick with what I have!
Next I need ideas where to stow seat belt end tidily once released rather than just letting it slip down between seat and sill.
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott

Post by Paul Scott »

Hi David,
If you were to fit the inertia reel under the back edge (if it fitted) the belt would be a permanent strap. So the hood would sit on the belt meaning inertia would not work.
It took me a little while to find a solution to the seat belts. But I trawled the net and found an image of some fitted inside a b roadster. I added the extra point to top of wheel arch to try & get a high point..

I have a couple of the plastic seatbelt clips fitted under the headrests for the B. That keeps them in place. You can get some SS style ones off ebay.

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Andrew Tilney
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Tilney

Post by Andrew Tilney »

I made some new extension brackets to allow me to fit my pack away hood behind the seats, as when the reels were in there original position it would not fit flat, I used all the original static belt fixings and did not have to alter any of these
Attachments
birthday pictures 079.jpg
birthday pictures 079.jpg (108.47 KiB) Viewed 8711 times
David Ramsbotham

That looks really good Andrew, if I could figure out a way of achieving the same thing that would be great. I notice your original fixing is on the wheel arch whereas mine is through the rear body between the hood securing points.
Much appreciated photo, thanks David.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

A reminder on this subject - and my apologies if you know this already.

The inertia seat belt must be fitted with the reel at the correct orientation/angle for it to work properly. If incorrectly fitted it may not lock in an impact with serious consequences.

I recall that many years ago this was definitely a problem when some MGBs were incorrectly fitted with aftermarket inertia seat belts.

I must confess I prefer the security of a static belt, even if a little less convenient in use.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear