Engine Removal

Technical MGB discussion
Geoff Rawlings
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Rawlings

Engine Removal

Post by Geoff Rawlings »

Hi all. I am new to the list so I hope this hasn't been asked before. I few years ago I removed the engine from a car I was about to strip and rebuild and didn't have too much trouble. Now I've built a lovely new and heated worshop and I've also started another project - 1970 BGT. As before, I'm stripping it completely and am at the engine out stage. Everything is off, the gearbox crossmember undone as is the propshaft and front engine mounts but can I get the bl**dy thing to shift. Is there anything I've forgotten? All suggestions gratefully received.
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Engine Removal

Post by John Watson »

Hi Geoff I assume you have disconnected all cables and hoses, taken off the exhaust manifold, and carbs, taken off the clutch slave cylinder, disconnected the overdrive wires if fitted also the reverse light cables, if you are removing c/w the gearbox it is always best to take the gear stick off. Guess you have removed the radiator and frame.
Also suggest you remove all 6 bolts from both engine mounts.
Should then at least move up and forward, you might need to raise the front wheels first to enable the rear of the gearbox to go down.
Good luck - Hope this helps.
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
IanFF

Post by IanFF »

Hi Geoff, you may have got this done by now? If not I would endorse everything John has suggested - just check again that everything is disconnected. After this, you may find that the engine mount bolts are holding the front of the engine in place due to their angle - a bit of leverage usually will spring the engine free and you may find it jumps upwards by a few inches depending on how much pull you are placing on the lifting gear. Take care this does not cause an accident! Next you will definitely have to get the engine at quite a steep angle to get it out, and as John has said, raising the car body a bit might be required to allow the gearbox to drop sufficiently. The whole engine/gearbox/overdrive is very long!!
Best of lluck,

IanF
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Peter Cresswell »

I must admit I've always separated the engine from the gearbox on MGBs and MGAs before hoisting the engine from the car. This makes the hoisting easier and avoids the steep angle needed to get the combined unit out, plus reducing weight seemed important when all I had years ago was a Haltrac hoist. I did though take an MGC engine, gearbox and overdrive out as one unit. It looked even bigger out of the car than it was in situ. I didn't use the Haltrac - I rented a crane!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965