PETROL

Technical MGB discussion
ROGER COOPER
Forename: ROGER
Surname: COOPER
MGCC Member: Yes

PETROL

Post by ROGER COOPER »

This is a question based on motorcycle experience. I run (occasionally) a couple of old motorcycles which otherwise stand around for long periods of time with the fuel, to all intents and purposes, drained out.

There is however always a residual amount left in the supply pipe from the tank to the carburettor and this finds its way through between the brass nipple and its seat, (in spite of the gland nut being tight) to evaporate in the open air and leaves a very sticky black goo on the outside of the pipe and the brass fittings.

In one instance this has also found its way into the float needle and seat area and clogged them up leading to flooding.

I guess this is feature of our current rubbish petrol but does anyone have an idea if a proprietary brand of additive will cure the problem, and if so which is best?

Roger Cooper
Roger Cooper
1974 MGB GT
Adrian Oliver
Forename: Adrian
Surname: Oliver

Re: PETROL

Post by Adrian Oliver »

Hello Roger.

I use Wynn's Dry Fuel in my vehicles about twice a year.

It emulsifies the water that WILL be present in the fuel (rusting your tank!) and then burns it off as you drive.

Amazing stuff for just a few £££s:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wynns-71867-325 ... B006I4AHNC
1962 Chelsea Grey MGB
ROGER COOPER
Forename: ROGER
Surname: COOPER

Post by ROGER COOPER »

Thanks Adrian but water is not my problem. I am experiencing a build up of hard sticky black gum which is difficult to shift.
I have recently read that as ethanol chemically is made up of much smaller molecular particles (?) than petrol it can penetrate where petrol does not and this is evidenced by the fact that every tight joint I have on the fuel systems of my two vintage Scotts has a build up of black gum - it even surrounds the fuel tap where it is screwed into the tank so even sealing with a fibre washer will not stop it leaking out.

It's not just on the outside that the gum is causing trouble - it builds up on the inside of the carburettors too and causes blockages to jets as well as getting on the float needle and the seat leading to flooding.

I have located a product called Star Tron which is claimed to deal with most of the ethanol problems but my trial sample has not arrived yet (it is not widely available at normal outlets like Halfords so I had to order it from Amazon). I reserve judgement until I have put it to the test but I will report back in the fullness of time.

Roger
Roger Cooper
1974 MGB GT
Dave Linkson
Forename: Dave
Surname: Linkson

Post by Dave Linkson »

Roger,

I've had many motorcycles, and my Friend and neighbour also has 2 Vintage Scotts amongst others, and is also concerned by what you have mentioned and showed me an article in the VMC magazine regarding ethanol and if I remember correctly, Millers VSPe fuel additive was endorsed, which protects against the affects of ethanol.
Last edited by Dave Linkson on Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

The current situation seems to be pretty well covered here:
http://fbhvc.co.uk/legislation-and-fuel ... formation/
Lower down the page it also recommends additives to negate the problems of unleaded fuel, low octane ratings and ethanol. The recommendations have been made following extensive reserach by the FBHVC, but note I have contacted Castrol about Valvemaster (unleaded substitute) and they have confirmed that it is being phased out and only Valvemaster Plus (unleaded sustitute plus octane booster) will become available. There seems to be plenty of stocks of Valvemaster in the system especially on eBay. I have also read somewhere recently that no fuel sold in the UK currently has more than 5% enthanol and this will be so until 2017. I'll try to find the article and post it on the forum.

Incidentally a good club night is to get David Whale along to a club meeting for a talk about the work of the FBHVC.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965