Tip 1 - New brake calipers inconsistent pedal

Technical MGB discussion
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Tip 1 - New brake calipers inconsistent pedal

Post by Peter Cresswell »

I've recently fitted a pair of new front brake calipers along with new pads, and initially I couldn't get a consistent pedal. The initial pedal travel was quite long, but if the pedal was released slightly, then pressure reapplied the travel was about 1/4 of that initially experienced. Very disconcerting! I had the re-bled at a garage with no improvement, but they guy who did them said he had experienced similar characteristics in the past with new calipers, and thought the problem lay with the dust seals being much harder these days and as the relax after an application of the brakes, they retracted the caliper piston slightly giving the long initial travel. I have now removed the calipers but not disconnected the hoses, and pushed the pistons about halfway out (with careful pressure on the brake pedal and a suitable spanner between the two pistons to stop them coming out completely), then applied a slight smear of caliper grease. On reassembly the problem has gone completely and I now have a nice hard and reassuring pedal travel.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965