Tyres

Technical MGB discussion
Graeme Forrester
Forename: Graeme
Surname: Forrester

Tyres

Post by Graeme Forrester »

I am just completing a restoration of a 73 B roadster with 5.5 in Minilite wheels. What are the suggestions for tyres?
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Tyres

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Are they genuine Minilites or Minator's? I have 5.5 x 14 in Minator's on my roadster with 185/70 x 14 Toyo TEO tyres. These are great, but the rear tyres rub on the wheel arches on both sides when cornering! Genuine Minilites use an offset that keeps the track narrower (required for racing to meet the rear track specification) and helps eliminate the problem. 175/70 x 14 tyres should prevent this happening as well.
I think the problem stems from using lower rear repair panels (below the chrome line). Heritage shells usually rub on one side only with 185/70 x 14 tyres and it varies from shell to shell!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Graeme Forrester
Forename: Graeme
Surname: Forrester

Post by Graeme Forrester »

Yes, they are Minators. On my FIA race car we eased the rear wing a bit as the car is lowered but runs Dunlop historic tyres. I am looking at 175s for this car.
Patrick Sellers
Forename: Patrick
Surname: Sellers
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Patrick Sellers »

I went for Vredestein Sprint Classic 165/80/14. More than adequate for my B with its 'stock' engine. Much better feel and lighter low speed steering effort than the previously fitted 185s. Approx £100 per corner from My Tyres. After all, the B was originally equipped with 165 crossply tyres. Perhaps a narrower tyre will have reduced noise level and rolling resistance? Cheers. Patrick