No speedo

Technical MGB discussion
Mark Price
Forename: Mark
Surname: Price
MGCC Member: Yes

No speedo

Post by Mark Price »

Hello can anyone help. I've fitted a new speedometer cable and connected it to my speedometer. The tachometer works but the speed indicator needle doesn't?any ideas
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: No speedo

Post by Vic Butler »

Rev counter is electronic and works off the ignition. Is the cable properly connected at both ends? It can easily get disconnected from the speedometer when putting the instrument back.
. Vic Butler
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Mark
Do you mean the Odometer (total mileage reading) and trip meter work ok but the speedo doesn't record mph?
Did it all work before you changed the speedo cable? If so it is likely to be something to do with the cable installation. As Vic says, it is easy to get the cable incorrectly seated into the back of the speedo to which might be preventing it from reading correctly. It is also difficult to take the cable off the back of the instrument and replace it as access is difficult behind the dashboard in that area. I have modified the speedo hole in the dashboard so the speedo with it's clamping bridge can be slotted in and turned through about 10 deg to vertical and then the bridge nuts tightened up. This allows the cable to be fed through the hole and tightened before the speedo is fitted to the dashboard. Much easier to be certain the cable is correctly inserted into the speedo head.
If it didn't work before the cable change then it is likely the instrument needs to be either repaired or replaced. All the main parts suppliers can supply a new speedo (keep the old one as evidence of the change) or several people can overhaul your existing instrument. Try Speedy Cables (http://www.speedycables.com/) who now manufacture 'Smiths' instruments or JDO (http://www.jdo1.com/) for repairs. Another option is to buy a good secondhand unit and with the main shows coming up in the next few months there will be plenty on offer.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Mark Price
Forename: Mark
Surname: Price

Post by Mark Price »

Hello Peter. I think it must have been me not fitting the cable propery. ..Ive removed the gauge and by putting 2 cocktail sticks in to the drive of the clock and then running them in reverse with my cordless drill the needle moves. I've also drove the car a felt the cable turning and I couldn't stop it. So it all works so I'll have another go at fitting it and hope I get it right. Thankyou