Replica tax discs

General MGB discussion
Paul Baker

Replica tax discs

Post by Paul Baker »

With the change in the law i thought i would seek out a supplier for a replica tax disc for the first year of my car. I found a great supplier who provided a customised disc by return of post and all for less than £10! I thought i would share the supplier details - creativetaxdiscs.co.uk.
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Replica tax discs

Post by John Watson »

Thanks Paul. Good quick service from that company
Attachments
Now on my 1964 MGB
Now on my 1964 MGB
image.jpg (479.69 KiB) Viewed 16337 times
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton

Post by John Watson »

You are correct Bernard , I wanted it to show when my MGB was born ie 50 years ago next month.
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Anthony Coates
Forename: Anthony
Surname: Coates

Post by Anthony Coates »

I like many others have elected to display a replica tax disc, showing the first registration of the car. But it set me thinking about the consequences of not having the official disc any more. Once upon a time certain jobs-worths would inspect parked cars, comparing tax disc against number plate. Now the tax disc has gone, combine that with the loop hole in the number plate purchasing regulation, it would be all too easy to display a set of "not for road use" number plates on a stolen classic, and use it, most would be non the wiser. another aspect is the ability for anyone to check that a car is road legal just by entering the registration number and manufacturer onto the DVLA web site. Therefore the stolen car could be on the road with false plates and confident that NPR cameras wont flag the car....

I recently purchased a pair of self adhesive plates for my B, via EBay, and did not need to provide any form of proof that I was entitled to purchase the plates.
Graham Wilkins
Forename: Graham
Surname: Wilkins

Post by Graham Wilkins »

I recently purchased some period, reproduction, tax discs for my 1966 MGBGT from an excellent gentleman called Gregory Powell. His website is most informative http://www.poplargreg.com; email: greg@poplargreg.com, or telephone: 01432 353963; mobile: 07710267336. He charges around £10 for 3 tax discs and if for any reason they get damaged or fade, he offers replacements free of charge! Highly recommended.
Adrian Oliver
Forename: Adrian
Surname: Oliver

Post by Adrian Oliver »

It's worth remembering that the date displayed is the renewal date and not the date the vehicle was registered!

i.e. If your car was first registered on 1st February 1963, the disc would show that day on the stamp but JAN 1964 on the coloured disc.
1962 Chelsea Grey MGB
Steve Vos
Forename: Steve
Surname: Vos

Post by Steve Vos »

Gents,

I can recommend this supplier of replica tax discs (he is also on eBay), he even tailored the tax disc post office stamp on the disc to that of the car dealership's post code where my MBG was purchased and put on the correct date (registrataion date for my car) aka the issue stamp. He sends you 6 hard copies but also sends the JPG files so that in the future you can print off your own. He also has a Facebook with lots of information on tax disc history and examples for different years.
Attachments
IMG_6949.JPG
IMG_6949.JPG (2.13 MiB) Viewed 16210 times
Pierre De Rijck
Forename: Pierre
Surname: De Rijck

Post by Pierre De Rijck »

This initiave is great! I own a MGB from 1971, imported in Belgium from Holland in 2007 but still originally a RHD.
I agree it is a folly but nevertheless , having a tax disc from that period on the windscreen gives the vehicle an extra identity.
Just looking now for a holder....
Pierre De Rijck
MGB 1971 Roadster[/b]