'New' MGB roadster

General MGB discussion
paul de-Ville
Forename: Paul
Surname: de-Ville

'New' MGB roadster

Post by paul de-Ville »

Despite currently having a Morgan, I have never lost my passion for MGs; particularly the B roadster of which I've had 3.
I am now considering getting a 'new' one built and so I pose that ever-compromising question: Who do I go to in order to get a truly superb job? (bet I don't get any answer)
When I have spoken of this to my friends, they tell me that my senility must be more advanced than they believed. I have to remind them that it's a very 'personal thing'; they don't see the relatively
popular and commonplace MGB as standing alongside the Morgan. In short, they have a notion of exclusivity without regard for driving pleasure and simplicity.
If I had more secure garage space......
Bernard Rengger
Forename: Bernard
Surname: Rengger
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 'New' MGB roadster

Post by Bernard Rengger »

Hi Paul,
The start point must be a new Heritage Schell from British Motor Hetitage Tel 01993 707200 and then joining the MG Car Club and looking through the trade directory from then on it depends what you are looking for , if it is something really special possibly with a more modern engine and improved all round performance then you could try Front Line Developments Tel 01235 832632. It really depends on how much you are prepared to spend.
Best of luck
1967 MGB GT
paul de-Ville

Post by paul de-Ville »

Hi Bernard, I am a member of MGCC and have been for a few years.
Yes, it has to start with a new Heritage shell. I simply want a superbly built and finished car without any 'bling'. I am not a purist so I am happy to mix features that I like regardless of year. For example:
I like wheels to be of the Dunlop steel pressed style, steering wheel like the original 3 spoke sprung wire type, door cards to be of the plainest type, standard black crackle instrument panel. It must have a B series engine tuned for utmost torque, etc, etc. and NO radios, sterios or aerials; let my music come from the engine!
This probably gives you some idea of my tastes.
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John Watson »

Paul - Where do you live?
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
paul de-Ville

Post by paul de-Ville »

Hello John, I'm near Stafford in the village of Gnosall.
Patrick Sellers
Forename: Patrick
Surname: Sellers
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Patrick Sellers »

Hello Paul, My 1971 Roadster was restored on a new shell for the previous owner by Tamar Valley Motoring Centre in Cornwall. That was back in 1999. I have all the original receipts that totalled over £17K! The build quality is excellent - good panel gaps etc. Regards. Patrick
paul de-Ville

Post by paul de-Ville »

Hi Patrick, thank you for the suggestion; oddly enough I looked at the car at Silverstone that was built by Tim Kelly in Cornwall for the BMH exhibition. May be something in the Cornish air!?
As a retired professional Engineer, (Aircraft systems design) and capable hands-on, I am not an easy chap to please and I've seen some pretty nasty 'bodges' by so called 'craftsmen'.
So, for now. it's 'hurry slowly'.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Paul,
Are you free this evening?
If so why not come along to the MG CC Stone natter? We meet on the every first Monday of the month at the George and Dragon on the A34 just to the north of Stone. The PostCode is ST15 0PX. There you will meet many fellow MGB owners more than ready to give advice at very friendly meetings and activities.
The meeting is shared with the Mini Cooper Register and a lot of local classic car enthusiasts, and is collectively known as the Stone Classic Car Group. A group rather than a club as we don't have a membership fee, and any events we organise are costed to break even, so are excellent value.
Tonight we have a talk by Carole Nash Insurance about classic car insurance and how do you ensure you have the correct policy for your car and the use you put it to. 7.30 for 8.00pm start.
If you can't make it tonight send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you more details about the group.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
paul de-Ville

Post by paul de-Ville »

Hello Peter, sounds like a good place to be; yes, think I know the pub - its at the jctn. of A34 and the Nantwich ? road.
My E-m add. is pauldeville11@btinternet.com
Unfortunately, I'll not be able to make it this evening, but meet up at the next one.

Paul de-Ville
Gnosall
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Paul,
I've sent you an email with information about the group.
Yes the George and Dragon is about where you think it is, but just before it just before the roundabout where the A51 to Nantwich splits from the A34 northbound. The pub doesn't have access from the A34 directly, but from a short parallel road (Meaford Road). Take a look on Google Earth by putting in the post code and you will see where it is.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965