General MGB discussion
Patrick Sellers
Forename: Patrick
Surname: Sellers
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Tyres

Post by Patrick Sellers »

I decided to change my wheels to ROstyle design to give a little more authenticity to my 1971 Roadster. At the same time I decided to go for a slimmer tyre profile as originally specified by the car's designers. I bought Vredestein Classic Sprint 165/80/14. My previous tyres were Yokohama 185/70/14. I have noticed a marked improvement in steering 'feel' and much reduced steering effort at very low speed. I have a 'stock' 1800 engine but I suppose that with uprated engines a wider tyre may be appropriate. With a narrower tyre I would have thought that rolling resistance and road noise would be reduced.
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton

Re: Tyres

Post by John Watson »

Interesting Patrick, my 64 B is on 165 tyres and the steering is great, when MGB owners say how heavy there steering is just look at the tyre size.
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Patrick
I agree with you and John - fit the correct tyres and the steering is not heavy. Changing the profile too as you have done will help speedo accuracy.

As you can see I have a RV8 - now that does have heavy steering at parking speeds.
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Bob Featherstone
Forename: Bob
Surname: Featherstone

Post by Bob Featherstone »

I have a 77 B roadster on 185/70 14 tyres, with absolutely no heavy steering problems at all, even with 14" steering wheel. I put this down to tyre pressure - the manual says 21 front and 24 rear, I usually keep mine at 28 front and 30 rear. I can easily turn the wheel lock to lock when stationary, if necessary.
Dave Linkson
Forename: Dave
Surname: Linkson

Post by Dave Linkson »

Hello, first time on here, looks a good site, as for tyres, I have 185 70 14 tyres, and have no problems with heavy steering, wouldn't go any bigger though, maybe steering components could do with a good greasing...