hood and trim suppliers.

General MGB discussion
Neil Wyman
Forename: Neil
Surname: Wyman

hood and trim suppliers.

Post by Neil Wyman »

The roadster I'm picking up this week will require at some stage a new hood carpets and new seat covers so I'm after recommendations on who to use with regards quality and price .
Thanks Neil.
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: hood and trim suppliers.

Post by George Wilder »

Neil
Firstly you will need to determine what sort of hood you need as two types were used on the Mk1 and Mk2 cars. A folding hood and a packaway hood. If you have and don't like the packaway idea you may wish to convert to a folding hood.
IF a folding hood what design - traditional or RV8 type?
What material vinyl or mohair?
Lots of choices

The firms that advertise in Safety Fast! are a good start all should be reliable suppliers.
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John Watson »

I have had good reports of Don hoods in Birmingham
I suggest you look at other MGB's to see the different types as described by George.
Personally I have a pack away on my 1964 MGB,You do have to be a weather forecaster, but you do get lots of storage space
GOOD LUCK
Regards
John
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Neil Wyman

Post by Neil Wyman »

Thanks for the reply's. hopefully be collecting the car this week then I will have chance to see exactly what I've bought ! and go from there.
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

Neil,
P.J.M. Motors are worth considering as well. I had replacement seats made up in leather for my 1980 roadster as my "deck chair" seats which I never particularly liked had got very tired. They built up new seats from exchanged frames (that can be made up to accept head restraints with either one bar or later two bar fitting). On a separate visit they repaired my hood (which is 35 years old)whilst I was there,taking it off the car and putting it on one of their stitching machines & fitted a new front rubber seal. I was tempted (& still am ) to go back to them for a complete carpet refit.
Since the above I have ordered a fully carpeted boot set from them which I have fitted and am delighted with.
Have a look at their website.
They usually have a stand at Stoneleigh if you are going.
Regards
Charles
Neil Wyman

Post by Neil Wyman »

Thanks for your reply's, with so many upholsterer's out there it I always good to use someone that comes recommended. I was thinking of going to Stoneleigh and would imagine that there would be a great source of parts to be had and maybe some good deals on the day ? . I also have a mk1 mini restoration project to attempt at some stage which I am still requiring quite a few part for also.